So easy, so cheesy, this cheesy shredded potato casserole recipe is truly swoon-worthy and one of the BEST potato side dishes, hands down. If you have ever wanted a potato side dish you could throw together at the last minute – you’ve found it!
It’s no secret that we love potato side dishes here at ACT. From
But these easy, cheesy potatoes? Well, this shredded potato casserole recipe is in a class all by itself!
5 Reasons to love this Shredded Potato Casserole Recipe:
- Can be assembled a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- Made from refrigerator and freezer staples!
- Minimal prep work involved – 5 ingredients only!
- Rich, creamy and oh-so- good!!
- Like a little black dress, these potatoes go with just about anything!
Ingredients you need for Easy Cheesy Potatoes
- Frozen hash brown potatoes
- sour cream
- green onions
Easy Cheesy Potatoes FAQ’s
You absolutely can assemble this hashbrown potato recipe up to a day in advance. Just cover and refrigerate and let come to room temperature before baking.
You can, BUT the cheese won’t be as melty and the casserole will be a bit drier due to the anti caking agent used in pre shredded cheese. I highly recommend you buy a block of cheddar cheese and grate it yourself – it makes all the difference!
I like it with cheddar cheese, but you could definitely make these potatoes with colby jack, or a mix of cheddar and jack.
How to make Easy Cheesy Potatoes in the oven:
- Defrost the hashbrowns and add the sour cream, green onions and
- Add the salt and pepper and stir together thoroughly.
- Spread into a greased casserole dish and top with more cheese!
- Bake or cover, refrigerate and bake the next day!
Other Potato side dishes to tempt you!
I hope you enjoy this Easy Cheese Potatoes recipe and would truly appreciate it if you’d rate the recipe!
Easy Cheesy Potatoes Recipe:
Easy Cheesy Potatoes
- 4 cups. hashbrown potatoes defrosted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Defrost potatoes overnight in the refrigerator or under warm running water.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, sour cream, sliced green onions, and 3/4 cup shredded cheese. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch pyrex casserole. Top with remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle paprika on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbling.
- This potato side dish goes with just about anything! I love to serve it with this Eye of Round Roast with Herb Infused Oil or with this Grilled Rib Eye with Salsa Verde.
- It also makes a great addition to a brunch buffet!
- You can assemble this hashbrown potato recipe up to a day in advance and refrigerate it.
- I think it tastes best right out of the oven, but it also makes terrific leftovers.
- Although you could use pre-shredded cheese – don’t! The anti-caking agent they add to pre-shredded cheese dries the cheese out a bit and so it doesn’t melt as well- and this casserole is all about that melted cheese!
- Also, use full-fat sour cream. Low fat sour cream gives the potatoes a gritty taste which is definitely not what you want!
- The recipe doubles or triples perfectly so it’s great for serving a crowd!