This Easy Cheesy Potatoes recipe is truly swoon-worthy and one of the BEST potato side dishes, hands down. If you have ever wanted a hashbrown potato casserole you could throw together at the last minute - you've found it!
Easy Cheesy Potatoes Recipe:
Just about everyone loves potatoes. And creamy potatoes? I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love a creamy potato side dish - myself included. Although I adore these creamy potatoes, they take some time to make.
Completely worth it of course... but. Sometimes I don't have that kind of time and that's when I make these easy, cheesy potatoes!
This hashbrown potato casserole recipe are in a class all by themselves. Creamy and tender and a little tangy, these potatoes hit ALL my flavor buttons. Plus, these potatoes are beyond easy to make - you literally just dump, stir and bake!!
Ingredients you will need:
- Frozen hash brown potatoes - you can definitely use fresh ones but the frozen ones work beautifully and are cheaper and easier. I always keep a bag of frozen hashbrowns on hand.
- Sour cream - Use a full fat sour cream. Low fat sour cream can get a bit grainy when baked.
- Grated Cheddar Cheese - Don't use pre-shredded cheese!! Since it's coated with a anti-caking agent, it doesn't melt smoothly. Just buy a small block of cheddar (mild, sharp or extra sharp) and grate it.
- Green onions
Tips for Making these Easy Cheesy potatoes ahead of time:
You can absolutely make this hashbrown potato casserole ahead of time... it's one of the things I truly love about this recipe! Here's how:
- Assemble the potato casserole up to a day ahead of time. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before placing it in the oven. Then bake as directed.
Can I freeze this potato casserole?
- I don't recommend freezing. Sour cream doesn't freeze very well and since that is the primary ingredient in the sauce, i'ts best to make it a day before you plan to serve it.
How to make Easy Cheesy Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees if you're planning on serving the potatoes right away.
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, sour cream, green onions, ¾ cup grated cheese, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the potatoes are bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Other Potato Recipes to tempt you!
I hope you enjoy this Easy Cheese Potatoes recipe and would truly appreciate it if you'd rate the recipe!
Easy Cheesy Potatoes
- 4 cups. hashbrown potatoes defrosted
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup green onions sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Defrost potatoes overnight in the refrigerator or under warm running water.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, sour cream, sliced green onions, and ¾ cup shredded cheese. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch pyrex casserole. Top with remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle paprika on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbling.
- This potato side dish goes with just about anything! I love to serve it with this Eye of Round Roast with Herb Infused Oil or with this Grilled Rib Eye with Salsa Verde.
- It also makes a great addition to a brunch buffet!
- You can assemble this hashbrown potato recipe up to a day in advance and refrigerate it.
- I think it tastes best right out of the oven, but it also makes terrific leftovers.
- Although you could use pre-shredded cheese - don't! The anti-caking agent they add to pre-shredded cheese dries the cheese out a bit and so it doesn't melt as well- and this casserole is all about that melted cheese!
- Also, use full-fat sour cream. Low fat sour cream gives the potatoes a gritty taste which is definitely not what you want!
- The recipe doubles or triples perfectly so it's great for serving a crowd!