This Browned Butter Cornbread in a Skillet is moist, tender and one you can whip up on the spur of the moment! Honey, sweet corn with the nuttiness of browned butter…this cast iron skillet baked cornbread is incredibly flavorful! A from-scratch cornbread that is so easy, you’ll never use a mix again!
“Necessity is the mother of invention”. Which is how this Browned Butter Cornbread in a Skillet came about! “
And sometimes, accidents are too.
It is solely by accident that this cast iron skillet cornbread recipe came about. The other night I made cornbread to go with this Turkey Chile with Salsa Verde.
Now, my cornbread recipe is incredibly easy – made without buttermilk and using staples like frozen corn and honey, I can always make up a batch.
Easy peasy, right? So easy it sort of got away from me. There I was in the kitchen happily assembling my ingredients, catching up with my husband on the events of the day and … forgot about the butter.
Oops! But I was in luck …. the butter hadn’t burned but browned and I thought “hmmm… this could be good!” (Duh… when is browned butter NOT good??) So I pulled the skillet out of the oven, poured in the batter and popped it back into the oven.
Did it taste as good as it smelled? Oh yeah…..
Want to give this skillet cornbread a try? Here’s what you need!
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread Ingredients:
- unsalted butter
- baking powder
- fresh or frozen corn kernels
- whole milk
- bourbon (totally optional but sooo good!)
How to make this from scratch Cornbread:
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients separately. TIP: to keep the corn from sinking to the bottom, toss it with the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter and brown it: Cutting the butter into evenly sized cubes allows it to brown evenly.
- Mix the ingredients and bake: You can make the cornbread right before serving or a few hours before.
This easy cornbread recipe is delicious all on
If you like bread recipes, here are some others you might enjoy!
- Savory Bread Pudding – cheesy, crispy and chewy – a reader favorite!
- Irish brown bread – a traditional, “quick bread” from Ireland!
- Irish Guinness Beer Bread – Guinness isn’t just for drinking!
- British Tea Scones – a delicious side with a cup of tea!
- Van de Kamp’s Date Nut Bread – moist and delicious!
- Yogurt Flatbreads – a quick, no-knead solution when you forget the bread!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d love for you leave me a comment and rate it!!
Thanks for stopping by!!!!
Browned Butter Cornbread in a skillet
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 cube
- 1 cup coarse ground cornmeal I use Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. good bourbon optional
- 1 large egg
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Stir. Add the corn and toss with the dry ingredients (this helps the corn from sinking to the bottom of the pan). I
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, honey, egg, and bourbon if using.
- Place the chunks of butter into a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Let butter melt and brown – about 7 – 8 minutes for cold butter (if your butter is at room temperature, it will take a bit less time).
- While the butter is browning, quickly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and place back in the oven. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the cornbread is brown around the edges and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with small crumbs attached. Remove skillet from oven and let cool for 10 – 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.