Aloo Tikki, aka Indian Potato Patties, are extremely addicting, and one of a favorite Indian potato recipe! Creamy, with just a hint-of-spice mashed potatoes surrounded with a golden, crunchy exterior is enough to make my heart go pitter-patter. Add a flavor bomb’s worth of toppings that combine sweet, sour and a little spicy, and… game over. Truly one of the BEST potato concoctions ever!
From One Pan Coconut Chicken Curry to Chicken Korma Indian dishes never fail to fascinate my tastebuds. There is something about the combination of sweet, salty, crunchy and spicy that gets me every time.
Aloo Tikki, or Indian potato patties, take that to a whole new level and make french fries with ketchup/mustard/mayonnaise seem downright boring!
A popular snack throughout India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Made from boiled mashed potatoes, spices and/or chiles and peas and then pan fried to get a crispy crust
Like many Indian potato recipes, there are many variations! From the toppings, which can include plain yogurt, various chutneys, and tomatoes to whether the potato patties are stuffed or not, Aloo Tikki is open to interpretation!
You can assemble the patties a day or two in advance and fry them just before serving.
What you need to make Aloo Tikki:
- russet potatoes
- jalepeno or fresno chile
- ground coriander
- ground cumin
- fresh ginger or ginger paste
- garam masala
- minced cilantro
- plain yogurt (optional)
- fresh tomatoes (optional)
- red onion (optional)
- mint and/or cilantro chutney (optional)
- date/tamarind chutney (optional)
- tomato chutney (optional)
How to Serve these lovely little Potato Patties!
- These little potato patties work as a fabulous side dish and would be “delish” with Chicken Tikka.
- Serve them for lunch or a light dinner with this Indian Spiced Coleslaw.
- As part of buffet dinner with Chicken Madras.
- As an appetizer/snack – just about anytime is the right time for Aloo Tikki!
How to make Aloo Tikki:
- Combine the cooked, mashed potatoes with the chile, spices and cilantro
- Form the mixture into patties and dust with flour or cornstarch
- Fry them in oil and then top with your choice of toppings!
Other Indian potato recipes you may enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Aloo Tikki and would be so happy if you’d leave me and comment and rate the recipe!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Aloo Tikki|Indian Potato Patties
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 jalapeno or fresno chile minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger or ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour or cornstarch
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt optional
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chutney
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro minced
For the Aloo Tikki’s
- Boil the potatoes with the skin on until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the pan and immerse in ice water to stop the cooking.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and place in a medium bowl. Mash.
- Add the chile, salt, spices, ginger paste and cilantro and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture into a ball and flatten into a disk about 1/2 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Add the oil to a 10-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Lightly dust the potato patties with flour or cornstarch. Add 3 or 4 patties to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip the patty over and cook on the remaining side for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove the patties from the oil and drain on a paper towel lined sheet pan.
- Repeat until all the patties are cooked.