Moroccan Carrot Salad, drizzled with a honey lemon dressing, is sweet, sour and crunchy! This “go with anything” side dish comes together in minutes making it a great take-along for potlucks, tailgating & barbeques !
Raw Carrot Salad
Bright and refreshing, Moroccan salads are one of my favorite side dishes. With gorgeous colors and vibrant flavors, these simple salads give any meal a slightly exotic twist!
With it’s sweet, sour/tart mix of flavors, this raw carrot salad delivers a lot of “bang for the buck.” Simple to make, with a short list of ingredients, it’s the perfect partner for deeply flavored dishes.
Ingredients you will need:
- Raw Carrots – rainbow carrots are beautiful in this salad but plain carrots will work just as well.
- Preserved lemons OR fresh lemon zest
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Fresh lemon juice
- White wine vinegar
- Garam masala – although this spice is used in Indian cooking, it’s mix of sweet and savory spices works really well in this salad. If you don’t have any, you can substitute a mixture of cinnamon and cumin.
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and white pepper
- Olive oil
How to Make Moroccan Carrot Salad:
- Grate the carrots using a food processor or a box grater.
- Combine the vinegar, honey, lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk. Set aside.
- Combine the carrots, parsley and preserved lemons/lemon zest in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle on the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve the salad immediately or refrigerate overnight. Let come to room temperature before serving.
Other Middle Eastern Recipes you might enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe I would love for you let me know by giving it a 5 STAR rating! Cheers, Nancy
Moroccan Carrot Salad with Lemon Honey Dressing
- food processor or box grated
- mixing bowl
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and grated
- 2 Tbsp. chopped preserved lemons cut into 1/4 inch dice or the zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala or large pinch of cinnamon and cumin
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or canola oil
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, honey, garam masala, paprika, salt and white pepper.
- Drizzle in the olive or canola oil and whisk until dressing emulsifies.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots,preserved lemon and parsley. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- This salad can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Store, covered in the refrigerator.
- The preserved lemons give the salad a nice burst of citrus flavor. You can buy them in a Middle Eastern market but they are very easy to make. You can use them in salads, dressings, or stirred into anything that needs a burst of citrus flavor!