A deliciously easy Moroccan Carrot Salad recipe with grated carrots in a lemon and honey dressing that is sweet, sour, and crunchy! This “go with anything” vegetable salad comes together in minutes making it a great take-along for potlucks, tailgating & barbeques!
Why you will love this
Bright and refreshing, this simple vegetable salad gives any meal a slightly exotic twist. With it’s sweet, sour/tart mix of flavors, this raw carrot salad delivers a lot of “bang for the buck.” It’s simple to make and has a shortlist of ingredients. It’s the perfect partner for deeply flavored dishes like Chicken with Olives or this comforting Moroccan Chicken Stew.
TIP: This salad tastes even better when it’s made ahead so it’s perfect for parties, tailgating and weekend BBQ’s!
- Raw Carrots – rainbow carrots are beautiful in this salad but plain carrots will work just as well.
- Preserved lemons OR fresh lemon zest
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Fresh lemon juice
- White wine vinegar
- Garam masala – although this spice is used in Indian cooking, its mix of sweet and savory spices works really well in this salad. If you don’t have any, you can substitute a large pinch of ground cinnamon, cumin, and coriander.
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and white pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
How to make it
- Grate the carrots using a food processor or a box grater.
- Combine the vinegar, honey, lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk. Set aside.
- Combine the carrots, fresh chopped parsley and preserved lemons/lemon zest in a medium bowl and drizzle the dressing on. Toss until thoroughly combined.
For best flavor, make this salad a day ahead of time.
How to store it
Since this salad is made with raw carrots, this salad tastes best if you make it ahead of time. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
How long does carrot salad last?
One of the best things about this salad (ok, aside from how amazing it tastes and how easy it is to make) is that it tastes best when made ahead of time. It will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
What to serve it with
As I mentioned, this vegetable salad goes wonderfully with Chicken with olives or a Moroccan Chicken. Here are some other ideas of what to pair with it!
The BEST Moroccan Carrot Salad
- food processor or box grated
- mixing bowl
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and grated
- 2 Tbsp. chopped preserved lemons cut into ¼ inch dice or the zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. garam masala or large pinch of cinnamon, cumin and coriander
- ⅛ tsp. smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or canola oil
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, honey, garam masala, paprika, salt and white pepper.
- Drizzle in the olive or canola oil and whisk until dressing emulsifies.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots,preserved lemon and parsley. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garam Masala – you can find Garam Masala in most well stocked grocery stores. But if you can’t find it or don’t have it, you can substitute a large pinch of ground cinnamon , cumin and coriander.
- Preserved Lemons – The preserved lemons give the salad a nice burst of citrus flavor. You can buy them in a Middle Eastern market but they are very easy to make. If you don’t have them, or don’t want to make them, substitute the zest of a lemon.