These Yogurt Flatbreads are my “go to” solution when I forget to buy bread! This incredibly easy,” no yeast” yogurt bread goes with just about anything and takes only minutes to make from pantry and fridge staples!
These quick and easy yogurt flatbreads take only a few ingredients so you can whip them up pretty much on the spur of the moment – which is fabulous because I always forget about the bread!
What you need for Yogurt Flatbreads:
You only need simple ingredients:
- Flour: regular
all -purposeflour is all that you need.
- Yogurt: I’ve made these with both plain yogurt and greek yogurt and both work. Full fat yogurt will give you a more tender crumb, but you can make this bread with low or
non if that is what you have on hand. fatyogurt
- Olive oil: you don’t need to use your best olive oil here! If you don’t have olive oil, vegetable or canola oil works as well.
- Salt: you will definitely need salt for these.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Since these
breadsare a “quick bread” you’ll need both as the leavening agent.
- Dried Herbs: This is completely optional but I love the flavor dried herbs give
the theseyogurt flatbreads.
How to Make this Yogurt Bread Recipe:
- Combine the dry ingredients: add the flour, herbs, baking powder, salt and baking soda to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the yogurt and oil: add the yogurt and oil and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Knead: turn out on a lightly floured board and gently knead until the dough is smooth. If it’s a little sticky, add a bit of flour.
- Divide and roll: You can either press out the balls with your hands or use a rolling pin. I find I can get a thinner bread with a rolling pin.
- These yogurt flatbreads are terrific with soups and salads or with any dish that needs a side of bread.
- Yogurt flatbreads also make a nice appetizer served as part of a mezze platter, or served with spreads to slather on them – think goat cheese, whipped ricotta, or tapenade.
- The flatbreads taste best the day they are made. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. To serve, loosely wrap and warm up in the oven or microwave.
Other Bread Recipes to sink your teeth into!
- 1 1/2 cups or more unbleached all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. herbs de Provence or any herbs you like – basil, oregano, thyme, etc.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup low fat or non fat plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil plus extra for oiling the griddle.
- In a large bowl combine the flour with the herbs, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine. Add the yogurt and 2 Tablespoons oil and mix until all of the flour is mixed in (the mixture will appear shaggy).
- Dust a cutting board with a little flour and dump the mixture out. Knead the dough until it is smooth and not sticky, adding a little flour if necessary. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a griddle over medium high heat and brush with the canola oil. When the pan is hot (but the oil is not smoking) add the dough and cook, turning after 3 -4 minutes or when the bottom is golden brown. Cook for another 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with a little butter or brushed with a little olive oil.