The holiday flurry is in full swing and I am awash in lists.. shopping lists, grocery lists, menu lists… and the “list” goes on and on. Despite all these lists, or maybe because of them my brain is full to overflowing. Is this sounding familiar?? So, anything I can do to simplify things is welcome… and that of course includes food. This Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole is a simplified version of a dish my mother made when I was growing up. We didn’t have them often – they are a bit high in fat and cholesterol and so they were reserved for special occasions – like the holidays! I think they are also the perfect “comfort food” – and after the events of last week, I think we are all in need of a little of that as well.
You can make assemble this Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole ahead of time – which is a real plus at any time but especially at the holidays when time it seems is in short supply. I like to pair these potatoes with braised beef dishes like these Braised Provencale Short Ribs – which is another dish that can be made ahead – add a salad, like this Mustard Greens with White Wine Vinaigrette and you’ve got a wonderfully warm and comforting meal perfect busy nights, an easy dinner with friends or when you just need a little comfort food!
- 1 - 30 oz. sized package of frozen shredded Hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese (divided)
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Defrost potatoes overnight in the refrigerator or under warm running water.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, sour cream, sliced green onions and ¾ cup shredded cheese. Stir to thoroughly combine. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pyrex casserole.Top with remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle to paprika on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbling.