When it comes to shrimp recipes, this Garlicky Shrimp with Crispy Pancetta and Tomatoes is one of my favorites! Succulent shrimp, plenty of garlic, umami-rich pancetta, and bright tomatoes come together in minutes making this shrimp dish a fabulous choice for an easy appetizer or dinner!!!
Inspired by a trip to Venice, I discovered this garlicky shrimp dish at one of the chichetti bars that dot Venice. Cicchetti are small, appetizer bites that one enjoys with a glass of wine at various bacari (local bars) throughout Venice either at lunch or during “happy hour”. Incredibly civilized, don’t you think?
Offerings are as varied as the bacari themselves – and shrimp dishes are a favorite – especially this garlicky shrimp – but what wouldn’t taste fabulous with a view like this????
As I said, this is one of my favorite shrimp dishes – it’s packed with flavor, is ready in under 30 minutes and the ingredient list is pretty much all pantry and fridge staples – what’s not to like about that!
What you’ll need to Make this Garlicky Shrimp with Crispy Pancetta:
- pancetta or bacon
- good quality olive oil
- fresh shrimp – either large or medium-sized
- dry white wine
- fresh or dried rosemary
- roma or other meaty tomatoes
With the weather beginning to turn from summer into fall, it bridges that gap in being light but with enough “heft” to satisfy those beginning cravings for heartier fare. So sit back, pour a glass of wine, and you might just convince yourself you are in Italy when snacking on these fabulous shrimp – Salute!
Although this shrimp dish is generally served as a bar snack or appetizer, it’s a fabulous shrimp dinner recipe as well. With the weather beginning to turn from summer into fall, this shrimp recipe bridges that gap in being light but with enough “heft” to satisfy those beginning cravings for heartier fare. So sit back, pour a glass of wine, and you might just convince yourself you are in Italy when snacking on these fabulous shrimp – Salute!
Other Shrimp Recipes You May Like:
- Oil poached Spanish Sherried Shrimp
- Asian Pickled shrimp
- Shrimp with Citrus Aioli
- Shrimp Scampi Toast
- Creamy Lemon Herb Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles
Shrimp with Crispy Pancetta, and TomatoesWhen it comes to shrimp recipes, this Garlicky Shrimp with Crispy Pancetta and Tomatoes is one of my favorites! Succulent shrimp, plenty of garlic, umami rich pancetta, and bright tomatoes comeWh together in minutes for an easy appetizer or shrimp dinner!!!Print Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to CollectionsPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutesServings: 4 servingsCalories: 511kcal
- 8 oz. pancetta cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp 20 -25 count
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
- 4 roma tomatoes cored and diced
- salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook, until the pancetta is crispy - about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Remove the pancetta from the pan and reserve.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the about 1 third of the shrimp, adjusting the amount so that the shrimp aren't crowded.
- Cook the shrimp for 3- 4 minutes and then flip.
- Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp to a plate an keep warm.
- Repeat - add another Tablespoon of oil to the pan and let heat for a minute.
- Add the remaining shrimp and cook.
- Remove the shrimp.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 45 seconds until the garlic is browned.
- Add all the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and rosemary, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 5 - 7 minutes until the wine has evaporated and the tomatoes have broken down.
- Add the pancetta and the shrimp and stir to re warm.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and serve in a low bowl with forks as an appetizer or in individual bowls with some good crusty bread for scooping up all that lovely tomato sauce.
NotesFor this garlicky shrimp recipe, you can use either large (31/35 shrimp per pound) or medium (41/50 shrimp per pound). If you've defrosted the shrimp from frozen, make sure to blot the shrimp really well so that the shrimp don't steam when you cook them. I used Italian pancetta which is a little less sweet than bacon. But bacon totally works!! If making this shrimp dish for dinner, this shrimp recipe is delicious served over pasta or rice. I like to serve this shrimp recipe with this Romaine Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette or these Mustard Greens with White Wine Vinaigrette . For dessert, I highly recommend this Creamy Lemon Proscecco Cocktail aka Sgroppino!!
NutritionServing: 0g | Calories: 511kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 323mg | Sodium: 1262mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 10.8% | Vitamin C: 17.6% | Calcium: 18.4% | Iron: 16.9%