Creamy whipped ricotta topped with sweet and savory red grapes is a crostini appetizer you’ll be making all summer long! A spin on the classic tomato bruschetta, this crostini topping is a deliciously clever way to use this supermarket staple!
What you’ll need to make this Whipped Ricotta with Red Grapes Crostini:
- seedless red grapes
- sherry vinegar
- fennel seeds
- brown sugar
- olive oil
- baguette slices
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme (optional)
- wooden skewers
I’ve got to say I feel a bit sorry for red grapes. Unlike peaches, berries and melons, they’re pretty much taken for granted.
I mean, have you ever heard anyone wax poetic about red grapes?
Because really, a
Which is why this crostini topping is sooo brilliant!
I first saw these gorgeously grilled grapes in Yottam Ottolenghi’s new Simple cookbook, and I had to try them. Like everything that man does, they are absolutely amazing!
Bathed in a super simple marinade and grilled (either on an outdoor grill or stovetop) these red grapes are a little smokey, a little savory and utterly scrumptious. Add in whipped ricotta and a good, crusty baguette slice… well, let’s just say it’s a whole party for your tastebuds!
I’ve made this recipe three or four times in the last couple of months and love it more every time I make it.
I have a sneaky suspicion you will too!!!
How to Make Red Grapes with Whipped Ricotta Crostini:
- Marinate the grapes
- Whip the ricotta:
Add the ricotta bowl and whip with the olive oil and the cream. Season with salt and pepper!
- Thread the grapes on skewers and grill them up!
- Toast your baguette slices and assemble!
Tips for Making the Crostini Topping:
- You can marinate the grapes a day or two ahead of time.
- The ricotta can be whipped a day ahead of time.
- Look for artisan ricotta OR make your own!
- The grilled grapes are also amazing served on top of simply seasoned grilled chicken or pork.
Other Appetizer recipes you might enjoy:
Whipped Ricotta with Sweet and Savory Red Grapes:
So simple and yet so incredibly delicious, this twist on the classic tomato bruschetta will earn you “oohs and ahhs” at your next soiree! -But don’t
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating!
Grilled Red Grapes with Whipped Ricotta Crostini
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds toasted and crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 cup fresh ricotta artisan variety or homemade
- 24 baguette slices
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 -2 Tablespoons whipping cream
For Whipped Ricotta:
- Add the ricotta to a medium sized bowl. Using either a hand or stand mixer, whip the ricotta, slowly drizzling in the olive oil .
- Add 1 Tablespoon of whipping cream and whip. If the mixture is still too thick to spread, add an additional tablespoon of whipping cream.
- Season with salt and pepper. If not using right away, place in a covered container and refrigerate.
For the grilled crostini:
- Brush the baguette slices with the olive oil. Broil for 2 – 3 minutes until the baguette slices are golden brown.
For the grilled grapes:
- In a medium bowl, combine the grapes, olive oil, sherry vinegar, fennel seeds, brown sugar and garlic.
- Stir to combine and set aside.
- Thread the grapes onto small wooden skewers.
- Grill over high heat for 2 – 3 minutes turning frequently.
- Either set out the whipped ricotta, crostini and grilled grapes and let everyone assemble their own or spread each baguette slice with some of the whipped ricotta and top with a few grapes. Drizzle the remaining marinade over and sprinkle with fresh thyme if using.
- You can marinate the grapes up to two days in advance.
- You can whip the ricotta up to a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
- Use homemade ricotta or a high-quality artisanal ricotta for this recipe!
- The grilled grapes are also delicious spooned over lightly seasoned grilled chicken or pork!