This Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule Cocktail is a delicious twist on the classic Moscow Mule. Smooth Bourbon, spicy ginger, refreshing orange and warm spices come together in this delicious bourbon cocktail recipe.
Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, all eyes are turning to the winter holidays and all the festivities… which includes festive drinks like my Pomegranate Lime Gin Fizz, Grey Goose Martini with a Twist or thisRuby Red Cosmopolitan Cocktail.
But if Bourbon is your spirit of choice, then this Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule Cocktail deserves a spot on your cocktail list!
I’d been searching for a bourbon-based drink for the holidays and wanted something that was versatile, easy to make and a little refreshing.
The Kentucky Mule cocktail came to mind and I thought it had possibilities. Dressed up with a little extra citrus and adding a spice-infused simple syrup gave this bourbon cocktail recipe that holiday touch I was looking for!
What is in a Kentucky Mule:
- At it’s most basic, a Kentucky Mule contains bourbon, ginger ale or ginger beer, and lime juice. Want to know more about ginger ale versus ginger beer? Check out my Ginger Rogers|A Gin and Ginger Ale Cocktail post for all the details!
- Simple syrup isn’t normally an ingredient in a Kentucky Mule but I added a little spice-infused simple syrup. It adds another layer of flavor and “smoothes” out the edges of this bourbon cocktail.
Why you’ll love this Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule Cocktail:
- Switching from vodka to bourbon gives the drink a bit more “heft” – which we all crave in cooler weather.
- An easy sipper, it appeals to true cocktail connoisseurs as well as casual imbibers (yes, I tested it with both!)
- It’s one that’s easy to serve for a small group – no shaking required! Better yet, leave out the fixings and let everyone make their own!
Notes for Making the Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule:
- The spiced syrup can be made up to two weeks in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
- To extend its shelf life, add a teaspoon of vodka to the spiced syrup.
- Use a good bourbon – Elijah Craig or Woodford Reserve would both work well in this bourbon cocktail recipe.
Other Mule Cocktails!!
If you enjoyed this cocktail, please rate it 5 stars!! Cheers, Nancy
Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule Cocktail
- 1 1/2 oz. bourbon Elijah Craig or Woodford Reserve
- 1/2 oz. Triple Sec Cointreau
- 1/2 oz. freshly lime juice
- 3/4 oz. spiced syrup
- 3 oz. ginger beer
- 1/2 fresh orange slice optional
- 1/2 lime slice optional
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- For Kentucky Mule:Combine bourbon, triple sec, lime juice and spiced syrup in a mixing glass with ice. Stir 45 seconds to combine.Pour over ice in a rocks glass.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.Bring to a boil over medium high heat.Take off the heat and let infuse for 30 minutes.Strain into a clean, lidded container. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.