Sweet and spicy, Rum and ginger beer, aka a Rum Moscow Mule is truly a match made in heaven! Simple, sweet, sour and fizzy, it’s everything we love about a summer cocktail!!
Rum and Ginger Beer
Confession. Much and all as I love rum cocktails, I’ve never been a fan of the Dark n’
So I gave this classic rum cocktail a bit of a makeover using my favorite cocktail formula – the
Spirit + lime + ginger beer is always a winning combination and the resulting cocktail was good. Light and refreshing it’s just the kind of cocktail you want on a lazy summer afternoon or to sip around the bbq.
But I knew this rum Moscow mule could be better. And honestly, if you’re going to have a cocktail, you want it to be great!!
What you need to make a great Rum Moscow Mule!
- White Rum – choose a good quality white rum like
Bacardi. It’s clean, lightly sweet flavor works perfectly!
- Fresh lime juice – Bottled is convenient, but bottled lime juice always has this bitter, funky taste which is definitely not what you want!
- Spiced Syrup – brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice,
andcloves are all you need for this syrup. Hint: Make extra since it’s absolutely fabulous in iced coffee or stirred into ice tea!
- Ginger Beer – ginger ale is a little too light for this rum cocktail so definitely go with ginger beer. I am a fan of Fever Tree, but use whatever ginger beer you like.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Jigger or measuring spoons
How to Make this Rum and Ginger Beer Cocktail:
- Step #1: Make the spiced syrup.
- Step #2: Add the syrup, rum and lime juice to a shaker.
- Step #3: Shake for about 10 seconds.
- Step #4: Pour over ice in a rocks glass or chilled moscow mule mug. Top with ginger beer and garnish with a lime wheel and mint.
Other Moscow Mule Cocktails you may enjoy!
Rum Moscow Mule
- 1 1/2 oz. Bacardi Superior Rum
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz. Spiced sugar syrup*
- 1 – 2 oz. ginger beer
- fresh limes optional
- fresh mint optional
- Spiced Sugar Syrup:
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- For the Spiced Sugar Syrup:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for about 1 minute or just until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Strain into a clean jar. Store extra syrup in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For the Ginger Spiced Rum Fizz
- In a shaker, add the Bacardi, lime juice and spiced sugar syrup. Add ice. Shake for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Pour over an ice filled rocks glass and top with 1 to 2 oz. ginger beer.