This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RumInTheSun #CollectiveBias. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
Enjoying a “staycation” this year? Bring the tropics to you with this Spiced Ginger Rum Fizz!
While most of the world is off, relaxing in the sun, I am… well not. But just because I’m not jetting off somewhere doesn’t mean I can’t pretend I’m on vacation, right?
So, since good food and drinks are part and parcel of any vacation… I headed to the store to stock up on the “essentials” – including Bacardi Rum!
Phew…. good thing they are fully stocked!
And as part of this whole “staycation” thing, I’ve been doing some day trips – museums, the fair and some local art shows – it’s amazing how many incredibly fun things there are to do if you just pay attention!
So, what about this Spiced Ginger Rum Fizz? This summer, I’ve been “delving” a bit more into rum-based cocktails like this Pina Colada with a Twist – and that is just the tip of the “tiki” world of rum cocktails! While we generally think of rum cocktails as being fruit based – but rum pairs especially well with a host of spices – vanilla, ginger, allspice, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
And that’s what I wanted to experiment with – infusing a simple brown sugar syrup with cinnamon, cloves and alspice.
For lightness, I decided to use one of my favorite summer ingredients – ginger beer. With a little bit of fresh lime juice, I was sure this combo would complement the sweet vanilla notes of Bacardi Superior Rum – and I was right! Bacardi Superior Rum is incredibly versatile and the perfect choice for this cocktail…
Although I made this Ginger Spiced Rum Fizz with Bacardi Superior Rum, I did try another variation with Bacardi’s Banana Flavored Rum ( I split the rum portion equally between the two!) – and it was terrific! So if you like bananas and rum… you are going to “go bananas” over this! (Sorry… couldn’t resist that one!)
So there you have it – summer “fun” even if the farthest you get is your own backyard! Now, the yard is calling and I’m off to make a Ginger Spiced Rum Fizz – cheers!!!
Spiced Ginger Rum Fizz
- 1 1/2 oz. Bacardi Superior Rum
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz. Spiced sugar syrup*
- 1 - 2 oz. ginger beer
- fresh limes optional
- fresh mint optional
- Spiced Sugar Syrup:
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- For the Spiced Sugar Syrup:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for about 1 minute or just until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Strain into a clean jar. Store extra syrup in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For the Ginger Spiced Rum Fizz
- In a shaker, add the Bacardi, lime juice and spiced sugar syrup. Add ice. Shake for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Pour over an ice filled rocks glass and top with 1 to 2 oz. ginger beer.