Last updated on November 20th, 2018 at 05:45 pm
Summer’s favorite cocktail gets a winter makeover with this Vanilla Whiskey Mule – my newest Moscow Mule variation!! This Moscow mule with whiskey combines the classic pairing of Jameson and ginger ale with lemon and just a touch of vanilla. This easy cocktail works just as well for a crowd as it does a quiet night by the fire!
The “mule” cocktail formula is incredibly easy to experiment with and the list of Moscow mule variations is almost unlimited. From the type of vodka used (hello Ruby Red Moscow Mule!) to the based spirit – bourbon, gin or in this case… whiskey!
Given my love affair with this cocktail, making a Moscow mule with whiskey I thought would be a winning idea. And I was right!
Made with Jameson and ginger ale, it’s rich, smooth and with just enough bite. If you’ve never tried a whiskey cocktail, this Whiskey Mule is the one to try!! Ginger ale provides a punch of ginger flavor which compliments the caramel, pear and apple flavors of the Jameson without competing. A little lemon juice gives it a citrusy note .. but it’s the vanilla syrup that pulls everything together and tames that whiskey burn! Oh, and this vanilla syrup? It’s fabulous… and you won’t believe how easy it is to make!!!
Tips for making a Moscow Mule with Whiskey:
- Although ginger beer is more popular, I prefer ginger ale for this whiskey mule. Ever wondered about the difference between ginger ale and ginger beer? Read all about it in my Ginger Rogers – a gin and ginger ale post!
- You will have extra vanilla syrup (unless you are making these whiskey mules for a crowd!0 This syrup is delicious served over pancakes, or drizzled over baked apples or as a nonalcoholic drink when mixed with some sparkling water!
- These Whiskey mules are terrific for a party. You can combine the lemon juice, syrup and Jameson’s a few hours ahead of time and then set out the mixture with bottles of ginger ale. Each cocktail needs about 3 1/4 oz. of the mixture. Just pour it over ice, add the ginger ale and stir!
How to Make a Vanilla Whiskey Mule|Jamesons and Ginger Ale:
Step #1: Muddle the lemon in the glass. I used a muddler but if you don’t have one, you can use a spoon!
Step #2: Pour in the whisky and vanilla syrup and stir. Add the ice and then pour in the ginger ale!
Step #3: Garnish with lemon and serve!
If you enjoyed this Jameson and ginger ale cocktail, I’d love for you to leave me a comment and rate it!
Other Moscow Mule variations you might enjoy:
Vanilla Whiskey Mule Recipe:
Vanilla Whiskey Mule
- 1/2 cup demarara sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla Whiskey Mule
- 2 oz. Jameson's Irish Whiskey
- 1 quarter fresh lemon
- 3/4 oz. vanilla syrup
- 1 3 oz. ginger ale I used Fever Tree
- 1 quarter lemon for garnish optional
- Combine the demerara sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in the vanilla. If not using right away, pour into a jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
Instructions for the Vanilla Whiskey Mule
- Muddle the lemon quarter in the bottom of an old fashioned glass.
- Pour in the whiskey and the vanilla syrup and stir.
- Add ice and pour the ginger ale over. Stir and garnish with lemon if desired.