Sweet and sultry, this Tamarind Margarita Cocktail is just what your chips and salsa have been asking for! Flavored with tamarind concentrate, this tamarind drink recipe is sweet, tangy and so darn good you will be saying "ole!"
I recently discovered Tamarind Margarita Cocktails at a local Mexican restaurant we've been frequenting during 3 weeks of constant dining out - and while that may sound delightful, for me, well... it sooo wasn't!
Well, except for the Tamarind Margarita Cocktails. Those made the whole experience definitely more bearable and this is now my favorite Tamarind drink recipe!
Ingredients you will need
- Prepared Tamarind pulp or concentrate
- Blanco tequila - I used Patron
- agave nectar
- Sweet and Sour mix
What exactly is a Tamarind Margarita?
A tamarind margarita is a classic margarita that has tamarind concentrate added. The tamarind gives the cocktail a bit more body and a fuller and richer flavor which helps balance the sweet, tart and tequila flavors. In short, if you love margaritas you will love a Tamarind Margarita!
- Tamarind comes from the bean pod pulp of the Tamarind tree. Sweet, with a distinctive tart flavor, tamarind is used in both Indian and Latin American cooking.
- There are 3 common forms of tamarind you can buy- raw, blocks and concentrate. Raw tamarind consists of the bean pods which you need to soak to extract the pulp. You can also buy tamarind paste. The paste is generally sold in the form of blocks, which you then mix with water and strain. The other form is tamarind concentrate, which requires no preparation.
- Where can I get Tamarind? You can buy tamarind in Indian and Latin American markets!
How to Make this Tamarind Margarita Recipe
- Combine the tamarind concentrate, tequila, sweet and sour mix, fresh lime juice and agave nectar in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
Other Tequila Cocktail Recipes
If you enjoyed this tamarind drink recipe, I would love for you to give it a 5 star rating!!
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz. silver tequila I used Patron Silver
- ¾ oz. tamarind concentrate
- ¾ oz. homemade sweet and sour mix
- ¼ oz. fresh lime juice
- ¼ oz. agave nectar
- fresh lime slices optional
- fresh kumquat slices optional
- kosher salt optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shake
- Fill the shaker ⅔rd's full with ice
- .Shake for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Strain over ice into a rocks glass, rimmed with salt if desired.
- Garnish with fresh lime and kumquat slices if desired.
- Refrigerate leftover tamarind concentrate.
- TIP: Add a little of the concentrate to dressings and marinades - basically anything that uses lemon/ lime juice!