Smooth and nutty with just enough sweetness, this Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail is deliciously deceiving!
An Amaretto flavored drink that has all the deep, rich notes that I love in stronger cocktails like this Old Fashioned, but with less alcohol! Now that it’s the holidays, low alcohol drinks are definitely on my wishlist!!!
It’s no secret that we love cocktails here at ACT – whether it’s a gin and ginger ale number like this Ginger Rogers or something a bit more exotic like a Tamarind Margarita, it’s hard to find an occasion that doesn’t call for a cocktail!
But sometimes… well sometimes I want something a little lighter. Something I can have before dinner and still be fully functional after. Which is why I love low alcohol drinks like the Adonis and this Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail.
The “secret” to both of these cocktails is that the base for both these cocktails is Spanish sherry. An incredibly versatile ingredient, Spanish sherry about 18- 20% ABV (alcohol by volume) about half that of hard liquors. So if you like wine because, well, you can have a glass and still remain coherent and standing, then you honestly should try This Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail.
Simply put, it’ one of the best cocktails I’ve had. Why? Amaretto!! Amaretto flavored anything always grabs my attention. Sweet, and almond flavored, it’s an incredibly versatile ingredient to have on hand and I find myself reaching for it … even when I’m not making cocktails!
So, What is Amaretto and what is it used in?
- Amaretto is a sweet Italian liqueur from Saronno, Italy.
- Originally flavored with bitter almonds, Modern Amaretto is now flavored with apricot pits, peach pits and/or almonds.
- Used in a variety of cocktails, Amaretto lends a smooth, sweet, nutty flavor to just about anything! I like to drizzle it over vanilla ice cream, add to hot chocolate or even to cakes – especially those served with apricots and peaches!
How do you Drink Amaretto:
- There are lots of ways to drink Amaretto! You can serve it simply over the rocks as an after dinner drink.
- My favorite way to drink Amaretto is to use in it cocktails like this Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail.
- Add a tablespoon to your coffee! Topped with a little whipped cream it can substitute for dessert!
- Amaretto is also delicious added to a variety of baked goods.
What you need to make the Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail:
- Amontillado or Palo Cortado Sherry
- Maple syrup
- orange bitters
How to make a Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail:
Step #1: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass and stir for 30 to 45 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass.
Serve and enjoy!
Bourbon fans, rejoice! I’ve got a whole collection of other bourbon cocktails including..
- Bourbon Manhattan – how to make the best sweet and smooth Manhattan ever!
- Bourbon Mule – sweet and spicy with just enough kick!
- Bourbon Martini – homemade sweet and sour mix is the key to this reader favorite!
Bourbon Amaretto Cocktail
- 2 oz. Amontillado sherry
- 1/2 oz. Amaretto
- 1/4 oz. maple syrup
- 1/4 oz. bourbon
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass and stir. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.