Last updated on October 22nd, 2018 at 02:44 pm
Sweet and smooth, this Honey Bourbon Old Fashioned is a delicious twist on the classic old-fashioned cocktail and made for fireside sipping! Now that fall is rolling around (well, at least according to the calendar!) I’m in the mood for bourbon! Bourbon cocktails like this Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule and a Bourbon Lemon Drop Martini are tops on my cocktail playlist this month . But my new favorite? This bourbon old fashioned cocktail!
So, the Old Fashioned Cocktail has a bit of reputation for being strong and a” bit rough around the edges” – and I agree – or at least I did before tasting this bourbon old fashioned. But this one? Oh, this old fashioned, with it’s lovely honey, bourbon and citrus flavors .. well, it’s an entirely different matter! I won’t lie to you, this bourbon cocktail is a bit potent – but it’s absolutely delicious and just the thing for sipping while sitting around a fire with good friends!
So what exactly is an Old Fashioned?
A small amount of sugar muddled with bitters, alcohol and a twist of citrus… that’s the basic recipe for an Old Fashioned. Originally made with gin – the historical old-fashioned doesn’t sound appealing… definitely not my “cup of tea”! Happily, in about 1880 though, Holland gin was replaced with whisky…. and the Old Fashioned Cocktail has remained pretty much unchanged since then.
Well, until now that is…
What’s in the Honey Bourbon Old Fashioned?
For this bourbon cocktail you will need:
- good quality bourbon – I like Elijah Craig and Woodford Reserve
- Orange liqueur – Cointreau or Triple Sec
- Orange blossom Honey
- Orange bitters
The basic concept of the Old Fashioned cocktail remains the same – sugar, alcohol and bitters. But I’ve added a bit more flavor and smoothed out the edges a bit with the addition of honey and orange liqueur.
Tip: for cocktails like this bourbon old fashioned, the quality of the ingredients makes a huge difference. I used Cointreau but you could also use a Triple Sec. Not sure what Orange Liqueur to use? Serious Eats has a great guide on Orange Liqueurs!
How to Make Honey Bourbon Old Fashioned:
Step #1: Gather your bourbon, honey, orange liqueur, and bitters. Add all the ingredients with some ice to a mixing glass and stir.
Step #2: Pour over ice into a rocks glass and garnish with an orange slice – I used candied orange slices but a thin slice of orange works well too!
Sit back and enjoy! If you liked this bourbon cocktail you might enjoy these other bourbon cocktails!
If you liked this bourbon cocktail you might enjoy these other bourbon cocktails!
If you enjoyed this bourbon old fashioned, I would love for you to leave a comment and rate it!!
Sweet and smooth, this Honey Bourbon Old Fashioned is a delicious twist on the classic old-fashioned cocktail and made for fireside sipping!
- 2 oz. high quality bourbon Elijah Craig or Woodford Reserve
- 1/2 oz. Cointreau or a good quality Triple Sec
- 1 spoon orange blossom honey
- 3 dashes orange bitters I used Regan's
In a glass, mix the bourbon, Cointreau, orange blossom honey and bitters together with ice.
Garnish with a candied orange slice or fresh orange slice.
- For this bourbon old fashioned, use a good quality bourbon. I like both Elijah Craig and Woodford Reserve. Jack Daniel's would also work, but I find it's a bit rougher for a cocktail such as this one.
- As for the orange liqueur, I used Cointreau, but any good quality Triple Sec works well. You could also use Grand Marnier, but the drink will have a bit more kick to it!
- This is a great cocktail to batch for parties. Just mix up the ingredients (sans ice) then measure into a glass with ice, stir and garnish!