Cumin and cinnamon flavor these healthy, oven grilled Baharat Chicken Skewers with pomegranate relish. These low carb wonders need only minutes to assemble for a weeknight or weekend meal!
A few years ago, one of my New Year's resolutions was to get better about using up leftovers.
So, after making the Fig and Pistachio crackers, I still had pistachios. Now I know those might not really qualify as "leftovers" since I could freeze them ( and leaving them around to snack on is just too tempting!) but the freezer is nearing capacity - so I decided to make this - Baharat Chicken Skewers. I saw the recipe in Bon Appetit a while back and bookmarked it to try. This is definitely "my kind of dish" - I love the subtle and fresh flavors and the fact that with some simple sides I've got an easy dinner. Leftovers are a plus since it makes a great lunch the next day. The ingredients and instructions look lengthy but don't let it fool you - this is simple and easy dish to put together and makes a great weeknight or casual get together meal.
Other middle eastern recipes you might enjoy:
Baharat Chicken Skewers with Pomegranate RelishPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 ¼ cups pomegranate seeds
- ⅔ cup unsalted pistachios
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- 2 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup grated onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baharrat seasoning
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- Baharrat seasoning:
- 1 ½ Tablespoons dried mint
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- For the relish:
- Combine all the ingredients and stir. If making ahead, stir in the pistachios right before serving.
- For the chicken:
- Combine all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Marinate 2 hours or overnight.
- Thread chicken onto metal or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo, soak in warm water for 30 minutes before using).
- Grill or broil for 5-6 minutes a side until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with the relish and plain yogurt if desired.
- Baharat Seasoning:
- Combine all the herbs and spices in a small bowl. Extra seasoning may be stored in a small, covered container at room temperature.
I have pomegranates and pistachios in the house right now. I'm going to have to try that relish!
This looks so tasty, love pomegranate!
Cookin' Canuck says
We really need to cook (and eat) together someday. Can we start with this dish because it looks really good? I love the freshness of that pomegranate relish.
I would absolutely love that Dara!!We'd have to get together for at least a week - there are so many awesome recipes on your blog that I'd love to try with you too!!
The colors and flavors in the relish are lovely. I can't wait to try this--wishing it was going to be my dinner tonight!
Barbara | Creative Culinary says
I admit that I'm newer to user pomegranate and also admit the reason why is that I can buy a container of them ready to eat; one of my few 'prepared' foods!
This has me putting them on the list...I bet they are terrific with pistachios; it's a beautiful dish to boot!