Last updated on December 19th, 2018 at 10:39 am
Cumin and cinnamon flavor these healthy, oven grilled Baharat Chicken Skewers with pomegranate relish. These low carb wonders need only minutes to assemble for a weeknight or weekend meal!
So, after making the Fig and Pistachio crackers, I still had pistachios. Now I know those might not really qualify as “leftovers” since I could freeze them ( and leaving them around to snack on is just too tempting!) but the freezer is nearing capacity – so I decided to make this – Baharat Chicken Skewers. I saw the recipe in Bon Appetit a while back and bookmarked it to try. This is definitely “my kind of dish” – I love the subtle and fresh flavors and the fact that with some simple sides I’ve got an easy dinner. Leftovers are a plus since it makes a great lunch the next day. The ingredients and instructions look lengthy but don’t let it fool you – this is simple and easy dish to put together and makes a great weeknight or casual get together meal.
Other middle eastern recipes you might enjoy:
Baharat Chicken Skewers with Pomegranate Relish
- 1 1/4 cups pomegranate seeds
- 2/3 cup unsalted pistachios
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baharrat seasoning
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Baharrat seasoning:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried mint
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- For the relish:
- Combine all the ingredients and stir. If making ahead, stir in the pistachios right before serving.
- For the chicken:
- Combine all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Marinate 2 hours or overnight.
- Thread chicken onto metal or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo, soak in warm water for 30 minutes before using).
- Grill or broil for 5-6 minutes a side until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with the relish and plain yogurt if desired.
- Baharat Seasoning:
- Combine all the herbs and spices in a small bowl. Extra seasoning may be stored in a small, covered container at room temperature.