Greek yogurt marinated chicken is the KEY to incredibly moist, tender and juicy chicken!!! Infused with lemon, garlic with just a touch of mint, this yogurt marinade also doubles as an incredible yogurt sauce for the chicken!
Greek Yogurt Marinade For Chicken:
This lemon, garlic
- Chicken: I used
bone inchicken breasts, but this recipe works with thighs, drumsticks or even a spatchcocked chicken. I like using bone inchicken for grilling, but skinless and boneless breasts or thighs also work!
- Yogurt: I used plain greek yogurt (since that is always in my refrigerator!)
but youcould also use plain yogurt or lebneh(strained greekyogurt).
- fresh lemon juice: Nothing beats the flavor of fresh lemon juice. You can use bottled juice, but fresh juice definitely tastes better!
- Garlic: I regularly use bottled garlic in my kitchen but for this yogurt chicken recipe, you really need to use fresh garlic!
- Fresh Mint and Parsley: If you’re not a fan of mint, feel free to use all parsley. But I
highyrecommend trying this yogurt marinade with fresh mint. The flavor is subtle and brightens all the other flavors!
- Olive oil, salt
andpepper – nothing fancy or special about these pantry staples!
Greek Yogurt Marinade:
Acidic ingredients like lemon juice, buttermilk, and yogurt break down cell walls – making food more tender AND allowing them to absorb more moisture. Yogurt also a fabulous carrier of flavor -infusing the chicken with all those lemon and garlic flavors!
The beauty of this marinade is that you can marinate the chicken for as little as 3 hours or up to 24 hours! I usually marinate the chicken overnight, but if time is short, 3 hours will do the trick!
As I mentioned, the marinade also makes a fabulous yogurt sauce ! After making the marinade, reserve a half cup or so and serve it with the grilled chicken. Sometimes I make a double batch of the marinade and make a salad with the leftovers.
How to Make this Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl:
Add all the ingredients (except the chicken and sliced lemons) in a large
non reactivebowl (such as glass) and stir to combine. Don’t forget to reserve 1/2 a cup of the marinade for the sauce before adding the chicken.
- Add the chicken and thoroughly coat it with the marinade.
Add the chicken and thoroughly cover it with the yogurt marinade.
- Pre heat your grill, remove the chicken and get it on the grill!
You could also broil the chicken, but I love the flavor that grilling adds!
- Pull off the grill and serve whole, or slice – passing all that extra yogurt sauce!
Other Greek Yogurt Recipes you should try!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you do, I would love for you to leave me a comment and rate the recipe!!!
Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- 2 cups Laban or plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil for the grill
- 2 1/2 – 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves mashed to a paste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely minced plus 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint finely minced plus 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 chicken breasts bone in chicken breasts
- 1 lemon sliced for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, crushed garlic, parsley, mint, and salt. Transfer half the mixture to another bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the marinade to another bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bowl slather with the marinade, making sure to coat the chicken thoroughly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- To cook:
- Remove the chicken and the reserved marinade from the refrigerator.
- Pre heat the grill to medium high heat. When the grill is hot, brush the grill with the 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, letting the excess drip off.
- Add the breasts to the grill and cook, turning often, until the breasts are evenly grilled on both sides and the internal temperature is 160 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill to a clean platter, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with the reserved marinade and enjoy!