Greek yogurt marinated chicken is the KEY to incredibly moist, tender and juicy chicken!!! Infused with lemon, garlic with just a touch of mint, this yogurt marinade also doubles as an incredible yogurt sauce for the chicken!
Greek Yogurt Marinade For Chicken:
This lemon, garlic
- Chicken: I used
bone inchicken breasts, but this recipe works with thighs, drumsticks or even a spatchcocked chicken. I like using bone inchicken for grilling, but skinless and boneless breasts or thighs also work!
- Yogurt: I used plain greek yogurt (since that is always in my refrigerator!)
but youcould also use plain yogurt or lebneh(strained greekyogurt).
- fresh lemon juice: Nothing beats the flavor of fresh lemon juice. You can use bottled juice, but fresh juice definitely tastes better!
- Garlic: I regularly use bottled garlic in my kitchen but for this yogurt chicken recipe, you really need to use fresh garlic!
- Fresh Mint and Parsley: If you're not a fan of mint, feel free to use all parsley. But I
highyrecommend trying this yogurt marinade with fresh mint. The flavor is subtle and brightens all the other flavors!
- Olive oil, salt
andpepper - nothing fancy or special about these pantry staples!
Greek Yogurt Marinade:
Why Marinating Chicken in yogurt is brilliant!
Acidic ingredients like lemon juice, buttermilk, and yogurt break down cell walls - making food more tender AND allowing them to absorb more moisture. Yogurt also a fabulous carrier of flavor -infusing the chicken with all those lemon and garlic flavors!
How Long Should I Marinate the Chicken?
The beauty of this marinade is that you can marinate the chicken for as little as 3 hours or up to 24 hours! I usually marinate the chicken overnight, but if time is short, 3 hours will do the trick!
What Else Can I Use this Marinade For?
As I mentioned, the marinade also makes a fabulous yogurt sauce ! After making the marinade, reserve a half cup or so and serve it with the grilled chicken. Sometimes I make a double batch of the marinade and make a salad with the leftovers.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper in a nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine. TIP: You can make the marinade a day ahead of time but don't add the mint until you are ready to marinate the chicken since it will turn black!
- Set aside ½ cup of the marinade for sauce!!! Add the chicken and thoroughly coat with the marinade. For easier storage you can transfer the chicken to a ziplock bag.
- Refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. TIP: to prevent sticking, CLEAN AND OIL your grate!
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you grill it.
- Scrape off excess marinade and place the chicken on the grill. Cook, turning frequently until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees - about 15 minutes depending upon the size of your breasts.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving to let the juices migrate back to the center of the chicken.
Other Chicken Recipes you should try!
- Moroccan Chicken - lemon and olives flavor this easy, one pan chicken!
- Chicken Tikka - chicken marinated in a mildly spiced yogurt marinade
- Chicken Marbella- the Silver Palate classic!
- Madras Chicken- THE gateway indian curry!
- Coconut Chicken Curry - luscious and creamy!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you do, I would love for you to leave me a comment and rate the recipe!!!
Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- 2 cups Laban or plain greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil for the grill
- 2 ½ - 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves mashed to a paste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely minced plus 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint finely minced plus 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 chicken breasts bone in chicken breasts
- 1 lemon sliced for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, ⅓ cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, crushed garlic, parsley, mint, and salt. Transfer half the mixture to another bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Transfer ½ cup of the marinade to another bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bowl slather with the marinade, making sure to coat the chicken thoroughly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- To cook:
- Remove the chicken and the reserved marinade from the refrigerator.
- Pre heat the grill to medium high heat. When the grill is hot, brush the grill with the 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, letting the excess drip off.
- Add the breasts to the grill and cook, turning often, until the breasts are evenly grilled on both sides and the internal temperature is 160 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill to a clean platter, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with the reserved marinade and enjoy!