This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HappyBlending #CollectiveBias
Sweet potato what??? Yes, I know… you normally don’t see “sweet potato” and “smoothie” in the same sentence. But trust me on this… sweet potatoes and smoothies do belong together and this Sweet Potato and Orange Smoothie proves it! But more on that in a minute.
Sad as it is, summer in my house is officially over. The boys are back in Dallas (sniff, sniff) and I am back in the classroom… which means my schedule is back to being a little crazy. Since I teach in the evenings, I am always looking for nutrient dense snacks to tide me over and this Sweet Potato and Orange Smoothie is my snack of choice since I can mix one up and slurp it down on my way to class.
If you’ve been reading this blog for a bit, you know how I feel about yogurt!!! I use it in just about everything from pasta sauces to breads and desserts – and if you look in my fridge it bears a striking resemblance to the yogurt aisle at my local Ralph’s market!
Which leads me to my latest use… this Sweet Potato Orange Smoothie which is based on an indian Lassi. Next to tea, Lassi’s are one of India’s most famous beverages. Made with yogurt and flavored with spices and fruit, they are refreshing and nutritious. Lately, I’ve been playing around with them – experimenting with various vegetable combinations and this sweet potato version is my new favorite!! Creamy, sweet and a little spicy, it satisfies my sweet tooth and provides me with Vitamin A, fiber, protein and calcium – which is why it’s my new favorite!
So, you need to start with some roasted sweet potatoes. TIP: You can roast sweet potatoes ahead of time – they will last up to 7 days in the refrigerator so you can use them in this smoothie or re heat them to serve as a side with chicken or pork!
the rest of the ingredients don’t need any prep – Plain and Vanilla greek yogurt, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, cardamon, honey and pinch of salt…
put everything together in the blender and…
Viola!! You’ve got a delicous, nutritious Sweet Potato and Orange Smoothie!
Sweet Potato and Orange Smoothie
- 1/2 cup Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Chobani Vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet potato about 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamon
- 1 tsp. honey
- pinch of salt
- To roast the sweet potatoes.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Cook for 30 -45 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft and can easily be pierced with a knife. Cool.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and, using spoon, scoop out the flesh.
- For the smoothie:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Pour into two glasses and serve.