This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it’s advertiser. As always, all opinions stated are my own. #HolidaywithChobani #CollectiveBias
Get a head start on your New Year’s Resolutions with this Leek, Mushroom and Yogurt Frittata!! It’s that time of year again… yes, the holiday party season is here! Which means lots and lots of holiday goodies. So I decided to get a head start on my New Year’s resolution. No, it isn’t about avoiding the goodies or working out 7 days a week. No, this year my resolution is all about “balance” – with work, with exercise and definitely with food! In terms of food, that means focusing on more nutrient dense dishes – like this Leek, Mushroom and Yogurt Frittata.
Yes, you read that right. Yogurt. In a frittata. Which probably won’t surprise you since yogurt is one of my all time favorite ingredients to work with. I use it in pasta sauces, smoothies, in dressings, and regularly substitute it for sour cream – so there is always a container of Chobani® Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt in my refrigerator. High in protein, calcium and low in fat, Chobani® Non -Fat Plain Greek Yogurt is a wonderfully nutrient dense ingredient that is also incredibly versatile.
Such as subbing for milk and/or cream in this Leek, Mushroom and Yogurt Frittata. But putting yogurt with eggs is nothing new. In the middle east, cooks often add yogurt to omelets and have been doing so for centuries. So I decided to see how it would work in a frittata.
And it’s amazing. But more about that in a minute.
While I was at Walmart picking up lights and wrapping paper, I grabbed some leeks, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and a 32 oz. Chobani® Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt. Don’t you love it when you can multi task like that?Heh, heh… lots of my favorite Chobani®Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt!
I had decided to keep this experiment simple with just a few ingredients…
I also kept the preparation simple too. Just saute the leeks and mushrooms together…
Combine the Chobani® Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt with the eggs, making sure to whisk thoroughly to combine them…
Then add the eggs and yogurt to the sauteed leeks and mushrooms and sprinkle with the sun dried tomatoes. Now, you “might” be tempted to add a little cheese to this frittata, but it honestly doesn’t need it! The Chobani® Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt provides an amazing amount of flavor on it’s own!
And then bake for 25 minutes until the frittata is puffed and golden brown!
Take it out of the oven and let rest for 3 – 5 minutes and then slice and enjoy! With a little side salad and perhaps some fresh bread a quick and nutrient dense dinner is served.
Or a late night munch.
It pretty much works for any occasion – and with any mix of vegetables – onions, bell peppers, spinach, zucchini, chard… the possibilities are truly endless… and definitely in keeping with this time of year!
Leek, Mushroom and Yogurt Frittata
- Main Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms brown or white - your choice!
- 1 cup sliced leeks rinsed well
- 6 eggs
- ⅔ cup Chobani® Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Additional ingredients:
- ¼ cup drained and chopped sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil to an oven safe skillet (do not use a non stick pan since you will be baking this fritatta in the oven).
- Over medium high heat, heat the oil in an oven safe skillet until it just begins to shimmer.
- Add the leeks and the mushroom and saute for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms and leeks are tender.
- While the leeks and mushrooms are cooking, combine the eggs and yogurt in a bowl.
- Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg if using.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg/yogurt mixture into the skillet.
- Sprinkle the sun dried tomatoes on top if using.
- Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes until the eggs just begin to set at the edges.
- Carefully place skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Hungry for more yogurt recipes? Check out these recipes made with Chobani®Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt.