Last updated on October 22nd, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Juicy, tender grilled chicken subtly flavored with indian spices, this Murgh Tikka – or Chicken Tikka is one of my favorite Indian dishes! If you’ve ever wanted to try Indian food, this easy and fragrant tikka paste marinated chicken is the one to try!
I’ve always been a fan of indian dishes and ones like this Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry are on a frequent rotation at out house. But this Murgh Tikka is definitely a favorite as well – chunks of chicken marinated in a simple tikka paste – it’s incredibly easy to make and goes great on the grill – it can also be broiled or cooked on a grill pan!
But I know the burning question you really have is…..
What is Murgh Tikka and How is it different from Chicken Tikka Masala?
- Murgh Tikka Masala literally means small pieces of chicken in Hindi.
- Chicken Tikka Masala however, is a British invention. A restaurant chef added a sauce to the traditional Chicken Tikka and called the dish “Chicken Tikka Masala”.
- So… Murgh Tikka is basically Chicken Tikka Masala without the sauce!
Phew!! Glad we got that out of the way! So now that I’ve convinced you make this indian dish…
Here is what you need to make this Chicken Tikka Recipe…
- boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- plain yogurt
- fresh lime juice
- garlic ginger paste
- Indian spices – cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cardamon and chile powder
- metal or wooden skewers
How to make the Tikka paste:
Step #1: Add the yogurt to a non reactive (I like glass) bowl and add the garlic ginger paste.
Step #2: Add the indian spices…
Step #3: Give it a good stir and add the lime juice….
Step #4: Add the chicken and give that a good stir….
Step #5: Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours… overnight is better!!!
How to Make the Murgh Tikka:
Step #1: Soak your skewers and then thread the chicken on them. Discard the marinade and then…
Grill ’em up!
If you liked this chicken tikka recipe you might also enjoy….
- Yogurt, Lemon and Mint Grilled Chicken
- One Pan Indian Coconut Chicken Curry
- Vegetable Samosas with Mint Riata
- Indian Spiced Coleslaw
Murgh Tikka - A Chicken Tikka Recipe
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 Tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 cup full fat plain yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- In a glass bowl add the yogurt. Add the ginger garlic paste and then the chile powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala and groun cardamon. Mix.
- Add the lime juice and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Cut up the chicken into pieces about 1 inch square.
- Add the chicken to the tikka paste mixture and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for two hours and up to 1 day.
- Soak approximately 10 -12 6 inch wooden skewers in water for 15 to 30 minutes or more. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Scrape the grill and pre heat to medium high heat.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers so that they fit comfortably and aren't too packed.
- Grill the skewers for 2 - 3 minutes per side until the chicken has dark brown grill marks and is cooked through.