Last updated on November 14th, 2018 at 09:25 am
Tender pork, cilantro and lime refried beans and sweet and sour onions will have you drooling over this Tex Mex Slow Cooker Tostada recipe and one of my favorite tex mex foods!
As you might know, Texas holds my heart. My two children live there and over the past 6 years I’ve fallen in love with the Lone Star state… and with Tex Mex food!!! So when I saw that Vianney Rodriguez was coming out with “The Tex Mex Slow Cooker – 100 Delicious Recipes for Easy Everyday Meals” cookbook, well I couldn’t get on Amazon to order it fast enough!
As soon as it arrived, I started putting post it notes on the recipes I wanted to make – and quickly gave up because I wanted to make them all! Think about it – 100 slow cooker recipes for Tex Mex food!! Are you as excited as I am???
So, with Vianney’s gracious permission, I chose to share this Tex Mex Slow Cooker Tostada Recipe with you all! Since I’m a huge fan of shredded pork recipes I was immediately drawn to these tostadas! Flavored with chipotles and tamarind (from Tamarind soda!) the pork is juicy and tender with a little spice and a little sweetness -and definitely different from other shredded pork recipes I’ve tried.
And really, you simply cannot have enough pulled pork or shredded pork recipes as far as I’m concerned!!
So, here’s how you make this Tex Mex Slow Cooker Tostada Recipe:
Step 1: Combine the seasonings in a small bowl…
Step 2: Give the pork a good rub down with those spices…
Step 3: Place the pork in the slow cooker and add the tomatoes, onions, garlic and chipotles
Step 4: Then pour in the the tamarind soda…
I just love that sound!!!!!
Step 4: Put the lid on and let it cook for about 8 hours…
Step 5: Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred with a couple of forks…
Step 6: Then slather the refried beans on your tostada shells, top with the pork, avocados and sweet and sour onions…
And then… devour… preferably with a Tamarind Margarita! Warning…. this pork is truly scrumptious so guard it carefully!!
Love tostadas and tacos? Then you won’t want to miss…
Tex Mex Slow Cooker Tostada Recipe
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds bone in pork shoulder
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 12 oz. bottle tamarind soda Jarrito's
- 1 onion sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
For the pickled red onions
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 red onions thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice fresh
For the Tostadas
- 12 tostada shells
- 2 cups refried beans warmed
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
To make the Chipotle pork:
- Combine the chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub the pork with the spice mixture.
- Add the pork to the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onions, chipotle chiles, and garlic.
- Pour the tamarind soda over and put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker. Using two forks, shred the pork, discarding the bone. Set aside.
For the pickled red onions
- Combine the water, sugar and vinegar together in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the onions. Cool. Stir in the lime juice. Onions can be made up to 5 days ahead.
- Spread a thin layer of beans on each tostada shell. Top with pulled pork. Garnish with avocados, pickled onions, lime wedges and sprinkle with cilantro.