I’ve got a little “hatch chile fever” going on at the moment so hang in there. This should be the last hatch recipe for a while.. I think 🙂 This Hatch Chile and Lemon Rice salad has been on my mind for a while. Last winter when I had no fresh hatch chiles!!! and my frozen stash had dwindled to almost nothing, I was thinking about this salad. So I made some notes and filed it away to await my new supply of hatch chiles. So you see, I kinda had to make this salad – and it was sooo tasty I wanted to share it!!!
I think you are really going to like this one – it’s sweet, sour, crunchy and well, punchy… there is a lot going on with this salad – chiles, bell peppers, zucchini, avocado and corn – which is just the way I like it. If you’ve taken a peek at the recipe, don’t freak out and the long list of ingredients because this Hatch Chile and Lemon Rice Salad is really two different recipes. The first is for a Lemon Relish – which btw, is terrific on fish and chicken so I’d make a double batch – use it with chicken or fish one night and use the rest in this salad for later in the week.
And since fall has officially started and we are all returning to “the routine” anything I can “make once, eat twice” goes to the top of my list of things to make – like this Hatch Chile and Lemon Rice Salad.
Other rice recipes you might enjoy:
- Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad
- Baked Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf
- Black Bean, Rice, and Sausage Salsa Bowls
Hatch Chile and Lemon Rice Salad
- For the relish:
- 1 large lemon
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the salad:
- 1 recipe lemon relish
- 1 cup long grain rice cooked
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano mexican if possible
- 1 tsp. Tangin
- 1 cup roasted hatch chiles cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 ½ cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup diced seeded yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- ¾ cup minced cilantro
- For the relish - Remove the zest from the lemon and add to a small mixing bowl. Slice the lemon thinly and then remove the remaining peel. Chop the pulp and add pulp and any remaining juices. Add the remaining ingredienst and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the salad: Cook the rice and let cool. In a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients except the avocado. Add the rice and the lemon relish. Stir to thoroughly combine. Fold in the cilantro and avocado and serve.