I am interrupting my normally scheduled posting to bring you this… Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad.
I know… the recipes that I share here on A Communal Table are, for the most part, inspired by global cuisines – but this recipe really can’t be traced to any one cuisine. It’s one of those rather unique American creations that probably has it’s roots in any number of cuisines – utilizing the best of all of them but with no true claim to any of them!
Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad is so darn tasty that I simply had to share it… and since sweet, juicy corn is at it’s peak right now, there really is no better time to try it.
Especially if you are grilling meats, chicken or fish – which is pretty much what they serve it at Gulfstream – where this Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad is a perennial favorite on the menu.
It is definitely a favorite with me.. it’s earthy, sweet and tart with just a hint of crunch – hitting all of my flavor buttons!!
Why I love this Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad:
- I can make it ahead of time – and you know how much I love that!!!
- It’s naturally gluten free and vegan – so I can serve it to just about anyone and everyone!
- I can keep the main dish and sides really simple – the salad is flavorful enough all on it’s own!
- It’s colorful with lots of fabulous textures!!
So, with Labor Day just around the corner, you might just want to bookmark this!!!
What you are going to need to make this Corn and Wild Rice Salad:
- fresh corn!
- wild and white/brown rice mix (Lundberg or Trader Joes both make good ones!)
- dried blueberries
- red onion
- curry powder
- fresh parsley
Other Rice Dishes you might enjoy:
Corn and Blueberry Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup wild rice and brown/white rice blend
- 2 ears of corn kernels cut off of cob
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 small garlic cloved pressed
- 4 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Spread cooked rice on sheet pan to cool.
- While rice is cooking combine the corn, dried blueberries, parsley and red onion in a medium sized bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic clove, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, sugar and curry powder.
- Stir with a whisk.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until combined.
- Add the cooled rice to the corn and dried blueberry mixture.
- Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with the parsley and toss to thoroughly combine.