RicWeeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto! Yes, you can have risotto on a weeknight! The secret? The instant pot! This Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto is ready in under 30 minutes and so good you may never make regular parmesan risotto again! Creamy, rich and luxurious it is everything you love about risotto without the stirring!
Italy has given us many wonderful dishes and parmesan risotto is one of my favorites. When I think about comfort food, parmesan risotto is right at the top of the list – creamy, silky and cheesy with that wonderful chewiness, it represents everything I love and admire about Italian cuisine – simple ingredients combined with stellar technique. But often that technique means long cooking times – especially for dishes like this parmesan risotto.
But not anymore! Cue the Instant Pot! Yes, the Instant Pot! Believe it or not, risotto is ideally suited for the Instant Pot! Truth be told I was skeptical at first, but after making a few batches, I was convinced and I think after tasting this Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto you will be too!
What type of rice do you need to make parmesan risotto?
In Italy, several different rices are used in risotto. Arborio, Carnaroli, Baldo, Cal Riso and Vialone Nano are all used, with Carnaroli considered by many to be the best. Here in the United States, Arborio is still the most common but it’s becoming easier to find the other varieties. All these rices have two things in common:
- medium to short plump grains, and
- a high starch content.
Rices such as basmati and long grain white rice don’t have enough starch content to create that luxurious creaminess that is the hallmark of a good risotto. If you can’t find Arborio, sushi rice does work although it doesn’t have the same texture as Arborio.
Now that we’ve got that all straightened out…
How do you make this Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto?
Step 1: Melt the butter and saute the onions in the Instant Pot until they are translucent:
Step 2: Add the wine and cook until almost all the wine is evaporated. This is a crucial step because there is very little evaporation with a pressure cooker. Skipping this step results in a strong alcohol flavor in your risotto!
Step 3: Add the rice and cook until the rice is translucent around the edges…
Step 4: Add the stock and a few sprigs of fresh thyme (if you want!) and then put on the lid and cook on manual for 6 minutes.
Step 5: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to manually release the steam and then remove the lid. Add the grated parmesan and stir…
And then sit down to a creamy bowl of this Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto!
Serving suggestions for Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto:
This parmesan risotto would pair wonderfully with this Shrimp with Crispy Pancetta, Tomatoes and Rosemary or with these Yogurt,Lemon and Mint Grilled Chicken Breasts.
Other Rice Side Dishes:
Weeknight Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 brown onion cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Set the instant pot to medium saute and melt the butter.
- Add the onions and saute until the onions are soft and translucent about 6 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until almost all the wine is evaporated. until the edges of the rice are translucent, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute until the rice is translucent around the edges.
- Add the chicken stock, pepper and thyme sprigs and stir to combine.
- Add the lid and press manual. Set the timer for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, follow the manufacturer's directions for a "manual" release.
- Remove the lid from the instapot and stir the risotto. Remove the thyme stems and stir in the parmesan. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Portion between 4 plates or bowls and serve, passing additional parmesan if desired.