This Aperol Negroni, a Negroni variation known as the Contessa Cocktail might just be one of the summer's perfect sippers. Citrusy and refreshing, the Contessa Cocktail has just a hint of bitterness from the Aperol which makes it a perfect before-dinner drink!
What you need for this
- Dry Vermouth
- Orange Bitters
In case you missed it, this is Negroni Week. A week where we can channel our inner Sophia Loren, don a pair of oversized dark shades and perch ourselves at a cute little outdoor cafe and feel virtuous indeed while we sip a Negroni - or even an Aperol and Tangerine Spritz
Seriously though, if you love Negroni's it's a great way to enjoy this classic cocktail and raise funds for charities around the world.
But there is just one teensy, tiny problem. What if you don't like
It's fully understandable that not everyone loves them - equal parts
I get it. Much and all as I enjoy a good Negroni there are times when they are just too bitter for me. So, how does one participate without um.. actually drinking a Negroni?
Well, lucky for you (and me!) there are lots of Negroni variations! From the The Part-Time Lover (made with tequila) or, this... the Contessa Cocktail, developed by John Gertsen, a bartender at Boston’s Drink. The Contessa Cocktail is a lighter, less bitter twist on the classic and is my choice for Negroni Week!
What is a Negroni?
A cocktail of Compari, gin and sweet vermouth.
Can You Make a Negroni with Aperol?
Absolutely! Compari and Aperol are both aperifs. Aperol is less bitter and has a stronger citrus flavor.
What is the difference between Aperol and Compari?
Although both are classified as aperitifs, Aperol has half the ABV of Compari and uses different botanicals.
So, if you need me, I'm the one with the large sunglasses and the Contessa Cocktail in her hand!
I'd love for you to let me know if you enjoyed this Aperol Negroni by rating it!!!
Other Gin Cocktails I think you'll love!
- Gin and Ginger Ale - brightened with lemon and mint, this is the perfect porch sipper!
- Fizz Cocktail - a pomegranate and lime riff on the classic!
- Bramble Cocktail - A smashing cocktail of blackberries and gin!
- Botanist Gimlet - the classic cocktail made with Scotland's best gin!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I would LOVE for you to give it a 5-star rating! Cheers! Nancy
- 1 oz. Aperol
- 1 oz. gin I liked Ford's in this, but Hendricks or your favorite gin works too!
- 1 oz. dry vermouth I used Dolin which I highly recommend
- 4 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
- In a mixing glass combine the Aperol, gin and dry vermouth.
- Add ice.
- Stir for 30 - 45 seconds until the cocktail is nicely chilled.
- Pour over ice into a rocks glass.
- Add bitters.
- This Negroni is a fabulous cocktail to serve to a crowd! You can mix up a day in advance! Keep it in the refrigerator and there's no need to stir it - just pour over ice into a rocks glass and serve!