This Gin and Grapefruit cocktail strikes the perfect balance between sweet, tart and floral notes. Ruby red grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur flavor this classic sour cocktail that you’ll be quaffing all winter long!
Although I love a Greyhound cocktail (a combo of gin and grapefruit juice) I wanted something a little smoother. I thought adding a sweetener would do it, and elderflower liqueur was a perfect choice.
The floral notes in both the gin and liqueur complement grapefruit’s tart and citrusy flavor – this cocktail is sweet, sour and smooth with just a hint of spice!
Gin and Grapefruit Cocktail Ingredients:
- Gin – I enjoy Hendrick’s gin in this Gin cocktail but any gin that you enjoy will work.
- Fresh Grapefruit Juice – Ruby red grapefruit juice is sweeter so that is what I used.
- Elderflower liqueur – the floral notes of this liqueur work really well with both the gin and grapefruit flavors. If you don’t have any, you can substitute simple syrup.
- Fresh grapefruit slices and rosemary – although you don’t need these to make the cocktail, I think they make a beautiful and fragrant garnish.
Gin and Grapefruit
Gin pairs surprisingly well with grapefruit so it really comes down to personal preference. Although I love juniper-forward gins, I wanted something softer and so I used Hendrick’s.
If you don’t like gin you could definitely substitute vodka.
How to make a Grapefruit Cocktail:
- Combine the grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and gin in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Strain into a small rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice and a sprig of fresh rosemary if desired.
Other Gin Cocktails!!
If you enjoyed this cocktail, I would love for you to give it a 5 star rating! Cheers, Nancy
Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower Cocktail
- 1 3/4 oz. Hendrick’s gin or other less juniper forward gin
- 1 oz. fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 oz. Elderflower liqueur
- 1 slice grapefruit optional
- 2 sprigs rosemary optional
- Combine the gin, grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake for 30 to 45 seconds. Strain over ice into a rocks glass and garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprigs if desired.