This Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower cocktail strikes the perfect balance between sweet, tart and floral notes. Juicy, ruby red grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur flavor this variation on the classic sour drink that you’ll be quaffing all winter long!
If you’ve been reading ACT for a bit, you know I’m a fan of gin cocktails. Whether it’s a Ginger Rogers or a Pomegranate Lime Gin fizz, gin cocktails were my first true “cocktail crush”. It seems I was on to something because these days EVERYONE is making gin!
Which is a very good thing! Not a gin fan? Well, you may just change your mind about this incredibly versatile spirit – and this Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower Cocktail is just the cocktail to test that theory! A combination of Hendrick’s gin and elderflower liqueur is the key to this gin cocktail. The floral notes in both of these ingredients add depth and compliment grapefruit’s tart and citrusy flavor.
Elderflower liqueur took the cocktail world by storm a few years ago, appearing on just about every cocktail menu. But…
What is Elderflower liqueur?
- The most popular brand, St. Germaine, was launched in 2007 and is based on an old and traditional recipe.
- The liqueur is made from How to that are gathered from the hillsides of the french alps,
- Not overly sweet or strong, the liqueur has notes of honey, pear and lychee and is a popular cocktail ingredient.
What drinks can you make from Elderflower Liqueur?
- The options are truly almost limitless since this liqueur goes with just about any spirit from Champagne to whiskey!
- Elderflower liqueur can be substituted for simple syrup in just about any cocktail on pretty much a 1:1 ratio.
- Try it in this Aperol Tequila cocktail or a St. Germaine Champagne Cocktail.
How to make a Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower Cocktail:
Step #1: Combine the ruby red grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and gin in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake for 30 – 45 seconds and strain into a small rocks glass over ice. Garnish with grapefruit slices and rosemary if desired!
If you enjoyed this cocktail, I would love for you to let me know in the comments! Thank you so much!
Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower Cocktail
- 1 3/4 oz. Hendrick's gin or other less juniper forward gin
- 1 oz. fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 oz. Elderflower liqueur
- 1 slice grapefruit optional
- 2 sprigs rosemary optional
- Combine the gin, grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake for 30 to 45 seconds. Strain over ice into a rocks glass and garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprigs if desired.