Last Updated on
No peeling and no boiling makes this easy Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole a must make at the holidays! Topped with pecans and laced with citrus, these potatoes are smooth and luscious!
“It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!” Ok, maybe I’m a little early -but to me Thanksgiving is truly “the most wonderful time of the year” and to get into the spirit of things I decided to kick things off with a little “sprucing up” here at the Table! Over the next couple of months I’ll be adding some new features and have a couple of fun series planned – so stay tuned!!
But let’s get to what’s important – the food! And if you are still debating your holiday menu, I have some fabulous recipes for you, including this Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole.
To be clear, I am not a fan of the marshmallow topped variety – it’s just too sweet for me so for years I’ve avoided it. But I love sweet potatoes and started experimenting with them and have finally found a casserole I like – Browned Butter Sweet Potato Casserole – and I think you will like it too! It’s not too sweet with browned butter to add a bit of depth and citrus juice for some balance.
This Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole is a snap to put together – the potatoes are cooked in the microwave so there is no peeling and no boiling!!! Then you just add everything to a mixer, combine and fill your casserole dish – done!
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes about 3 lbs.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tsp. fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- large pinch ground cloves
- large pinch ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside. Slice a slit in each sweet potato and cook in the microwave on the potato setting for 10 - 12 minutes or until a knife slides easily into the potato. If you don't want to use a microwave, you can bake the potatoes at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until very tender.
In a small saute pan over medium melt the butter and add the pecans cook until the pecans are golden and the butter is light brown and has a nice nutty aroma. Remove the pecans and drain on a paper towel. Combine the mashed sweet potatoes, the butter and the remaining ingredients except for the pecans in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor you can use a mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix until the potatoes are smooth. Spoon the mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle pecans on top before serving.
And with recipes this simple, it truly is the most wonderful time of the year!”Especially if you follow my “10 Tips for Surviving Thanksgiving!
Looking for more inspiration? Here’s a little roundup of some of my favorite dishes!!
I wish you all a joyous Thanksgiving… and remember, who is around your table is more important than what is on it!!!