This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PickedAtPeak #Collective Bias.
30 minute Country Captain Chicken is richly flavored southern classic. Bottled marinara sauce, curry and currants make this an easy weeknight meal!!
So what do you do when you craving a dish but you don’t have the time to make it? Well, you look for ways to make it easier without sacrificing flavor, right? Well, I’m happy to say that’s exactly what happened with this 30 Minute Country Captain Chicken!
Country Captain Chicken is one of my favorite dishes – but my traditional recipe isn’t quick and I’ve really been craving it lately. So, when I was asked to develop a recipe with Prego Farmers Market® sauces… well I knew exactly what I was going to make – 30 Minute Country Captain Chicken! If you haven’t tried them yet, these Prego Farmers Market® sauces are incredibly flavorful and are made with the kind of ingredients you find at your local farmers market – like vine ripened tomatoes, garlic and basil… and are my new “go to” jarred marinara sauces! So I was pretty sure the Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara would provide the depth of flavor I needed in a fraction of the time traditional simmered sauces require…..and right now it’s even on sale!
So, after a quick trip to my local Walmart to pick up a jar of Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara sauce, chicken, carrots, celery, onions and peppers, I got out my skillet and got to work…
Instead of bone in thighs or a cut up chicken, I decided to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts since they cook more quickly. After a quick dusting with seasoned flour, into the pan they went!
Next came the fresh veggies – onions, celery, carrots and yellow bell pepper. Yes, I know this is not consistent with the “traditional” recipe – but you know I like to add in more vegetables wherever I can and carrots seemed a “no brainer” in this. As for the traditional green peppers.. well, I am not a fan. So, I substituted a yellow pepper – but please feel free to use whatever color pepper you like – just don’t omit it!!!
Then it was easy… I just added the curry powder and then poured in the Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara sauce…
I just added a little chicken stock and the currants, added back the chicken, put the lid on the pan and let simmer for about 15 minutes…
And it was even better than I expected! The Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara sauce delivered – it had that “picked at the peak” flavor that I was looking for. This 30 Minute Country Captain Chicken is easy enough to make on a weeknight and delicious enough to serve for friends and family on the weekend – and in this pre holiday season, isn’t that something we all want on our tables???If you’d like to learn more check out this you tube video!
For more quick and easy chicken recipes, check out my Chicken Marbella with Boneless Chicken Thighs
or my no teriyaki sauce required Baked Teriyaki Style Chicken Skewers!
A southern classic, this Country Captain Chicken is a blend of French creole and indian cuisine.Tangy, sweet and salty and ready in 30 minutes!!
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 yellow red or orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 2 cups cooked rice optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Place the flour on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- While oil is heating, lightly dredge the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Place chicken in the skillet and cook, until browned - about 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and cook until golden brown - about 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and add the remaining Tablespoon of oil.
- Add the vegetables and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder and stir.
- Pour in the Prego Farmer's Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce and stir.
- Stir in the chicken stock and currants
- Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet, turning to coat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice!