I have a love/hate relationship with wedge salads - well, except for this Wedge Salad with Creamy Beet Dressing - but I'll get to that in a bit. On the "love" side we've got that amazing combination of cold, crisp iceberg lettuce, salty and creamy blue cheese dressing. And bacon... can't forget the bacon! So what's on the "hate" side? Cutting that wedge of lettuce - yeah, pretty much a recipe for disaster for moi.
So, I decided to take another run at this salad and figured I'd change it up a bit - because, well, "why not?"
And because if you've been around here for a while, you know I can't leave these things alone.
And, since I was sent this adorable collection of spring inspired mustards from Maille (which is my favorite mustard company) it was pretty much inevitable.
Carrot and Shallot, Olive and Herbs de Provence and Beetroot with a hint of Honey - aren't they cute?
To say that these mustards inspired all kinds of ideas is an understatement.. I was thinking of a fish dish using the Olive and Herbs de Provence mustard and a chicken dish with the carrot and shallot... but went with this Wedge Salad with Creamy Beet Dressing. Wedges of Little Gem lettuce, roasted red and yellow beets, toasted walnuts and blue cheese all drizzled with a Creamy Beet Dressing - crunchy, sweet, salty and creamy - and much easier to cut and eat!
Yes, I know I'm on a bit of a "salad roll" - but since we are officially on day 2 of what I'm affectionately calling "Kitchenmeggedon" - i.e. repairing the damage from two slab leaks in the kitchen - my ability to cook is rather limited for the time being.
But even without a functioning kitchen, I can still put together a salad.
And this Wedge Salad with Creamy Beet Dressing? Kitchen or no kitchen, I'll be making this all spring and probably all summer as well - it's definitely a "love/love" relationship!
Maille, Inc. provided me with a sample of mustards. As always, all opinions are mine alone.
Hungry for more salads? Check out these salad recipes:
Wedge Salad with Creamy Beet Dressing
- 4 heads Little Gem lettuce
- 1 bunch baby red beets
- 1 bunch baby golden beets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts toasted
- ¼ crumbled blue cheese
- 1 Tablespoon minced chives
- Creamy Beet Dressing
- 4 teaspoons Maille Mustard with White Wine Beet and a hint of Honey
- 6 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- pinch white pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the tops off the beets and rub beets with 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil. Wrap the beets in foil and place on a sheetpan. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the beets are easily pierced with a knife.
- Let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard, mayonnaise, honey, salt and white wine vinegar. Whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth. Season with white pepper and additional salt if desired.
- If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into quarters. Set aside.
- To assemble the salads, quarter each head of Little Gem lettuce and place 4 quarters on each of 4 salad plates. Evenly divide the beets between the plates. Sprinkle with blue cheese and walnuts.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad. Serve and enjoy!