Rich and creamy with a hint of smokiness this vegan Creamy Chickpea Soup with Roasted Peppers goes from pantry to table in under 30 minutes – and doesn’t include one drop of cream!
Soup is pretty much my “go to” meal when I am pressed for time and/or haven’t really thought about dinner. With a few basics in the pantry and fridge I can always put together a pot of Salsa chowder or Indian Spiced Red Lentil Soup To be honest though, I’m not a huge fan of chickpea soup – to me, the chickpeas are just a bit too big for soup. But this Creamy Chickpea Soup? Ohhhh yesss!!!!
And that’s the secret to this creamy chickpea soup with roasted red bell peppers – store-bought hummus! I know some of you are thinking… “ugh… hummus in soup? no thanks”… but don’t let the idea stop you from making this creamy chickpea soup. Let’s put it this way.. if you love tomato or roasted red pepper soup, you are going to love this creamy chickpea soup because that is exactly what it tastes like…creamy, rich with that lovely savoriness of tomatoes and peppers.
What you need to make this Creamy Chickpea Soup with Roasted Red Peppers
- a container of plain hummus
- vegetable stock
- 1 jar of roasted red bell peppers
- sherry or red wine vinegar
- smoked paprika
- tomato paste
How to make Creamy Chickpea Soup with Roasted Red Peppers
Step 1: Combine all the ingredients except the stock in a blender or food processor.
Step 2: Blend it together until it’s smooth and transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in the stock and heat!
And that is all there to it – a creamy, rich and smoky Creamy Chickpea Soup with Roasted Red Peppers!!!
Want to slurp more soup? Try these other soup recipes!
Roasted Pepper and Hummus Soup
- 1 cup drained roasted red peppers
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sumac optional
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- In a food processoror blender, combine the roasted peppers, hummus, tomato paste, cayenne, smoked paprika, ground sumac (if using) and sherry vinegar. Blend until peppers are pureed and the mixture is smooth.
- transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and stir in two cups of vegetable stock. Heat over medium high heat for 4 - 6 minutes until the soup is hot.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with canned garbanzo beans, sliced roasted red bell peppers and fresh parsley if desired.