Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:54 pm
Really. In fact, I’d go as far as to say I like these better than a traditional tostada!
So what possessed me to come up with Hash Brown Tostadas? Glad you asked! The U.S. Potato Board issued a challenge – to come up with a 30 minute potato dish. As someone who loves a challenge, not to mention potatoes, I was in!
But before we get to the Hash Brown Tostada details, I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. Potatoes have been one of my “go to’s” for easy weeknight meals for years!! First, there are endless possibilities in the produce section – Russets, reds, yellows, whites, purples, fingerlings and petites all have distinct flavor and cooking properties and are incredibly versatile – pretty much like your favorite “little black dress” – potatoes go with just about anything! For mashed in minutes, today’s instant potatoes are better than ever because of advancements in the dehydrating process. And then there is the frozen aisle for fries, hash browns, wedges, shreds, tater tots and slices.
Alright, back to the Hash Brown Tostadas – which couldn’t be easier to make. I used frozen hash browns to make little hash brown patties and topped them with lime and cilantro spiked black beans, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and cheese. But honestly? The possibilities for these Hash Brown Tostadas are almost limitless. Have picky eaters? Then this dish is made for you!! Just set out a selection of toppings and let everyone make their own! Taco meat or left over rotisserie chicken would be terrific, fresh tomatoes instead of salsa, or for those who like things spicier, set out your favorite hot sauce! And did I mention some fresh avocado would be awesome with these?
This post was sponsored by the U.S. Potato Board. As always, all opinions expressed are my own!
Hash Brown Tostadas
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 - 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups romaine salad mix
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado optional
- 4 green onions optional
- 2 Tablespoons low fat sour cream or Mexican crema optional
- Place shredded potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. While potatoes are heating, pour 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil into a 12 inch cast iron or non stick skillet. Heat the oil over medium to medium high heat.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave and spoon 1 cup of the potatoes into the skillet. Repeat with another cup of potatoes and flatten to each mound of potatoes to make a patty. Cook hash browns for 5 minutes.
- While hash browns are cooking, drain and rinse the beans. Combine beans with a large handful of cilantro, juice of 1 lime, cumin, garlic paste and salt in the bowl of a mini food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Turn the potato patties over and cook for another 5 minutes. Dice the avocado and slice the green onions.
- Remove the patties from the pan. Add the remaining oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of the black bean mixture on each patty and top with romaine, salsa, cheese, avocado, green onions and sour cream if using.