Last Updated on
This Thai Coleslaw recipe is amazingly delicious – even with no mayo! Creamy, Sweet, salty and crunchy with a zingy coconut and lime dressing, you may never go back to plain old coleslaw!
Coleslaw is one of my all-time favorite salads. It’s easy, cheap and you can make it a million different ways – from this Indian Spiced Coleslaw to this no mayo coleslaw recipe flavored with coconut and lime. The inspiration for this coleslaw recipe came from an old Donna Hay magazine that featured a beef stir-fry with coconut and lime. Which got me thinking about Thai flavors.
But a stir fry wasn’t what I had in mind. To be honest, it’s a mystery to me sometimes how my brain goes from point A to point B… but I kept thinking coconut and lime would be amazing in a coleslaw.
And I thought right. This no mayo Thai Coleslaw with Coconut and Lime recipe is…truly fabulous and the perfect side for grilled fish, shrimp, pork, or chicken!
What you’ll need to make Thai Coleslaw (no mayo) recipe!
- Shredded cabbage (pre-shredded cabbage with carrots works great in this recipe)
- coconut milk
- fish sauce
- brown sugar
- Thai green curry paste
- green onions
- shredded coconut
How to make this Thai Coleslaw with coconut and lime dressing without mayo:
It’s really easy to make coleslaw dressings without mayo! For this Thai coleslaw recipe, I used coconut milk – it’s creamy texture is perfect for coating shredded cabbage.
Step #1: Combine the coconut milk, lime juice and zest, fish sauce and brown sugar in a blender and blend for 30 to 45 minutes until the dressing is smooth.
Other options for making a no mayo coleslaw dressing include:
- Greek yogurt – add in a little vinegar and your favorite fresh herbs or even a dried herb blend.
- Mexican crema – like coconut milk, crema is perfect for coating all that shredded cabbage.
- Sour cream – sour cream makes an amazing coleslaw dressing! I love mixing in minced chives and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Oil and vinegar – almost any vinaigrette works great for a no mayo coleslaw dressing.
I hope you enjoy this Thai Coleslaw with Coconut and lime no mayo recipe!
Other salad recipes you may enjoy:
- Thai Cucumber Salad with Lime Dressing
- Chopped Cauliflower Salad
- Apricot and Arugula Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Feta
- Shelled Edamame Salad with Citrus Honey Ginger Dressing
- Original Chik-fil-a-cole slaw recipe
Thai Coleslaw with Coconut and Lime
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Thai green curry paste
- 1/2 head green cabbage thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 head red cabbage thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 mango peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds or so until the dressing is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- For the coleslaw, combine the cabbage, mango, mint, cilantro and green onions in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add 1/2 of the dressing and toss. Taste and add more dressing if desired.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut and peanuts on top and serve.