Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:54 pm
A Pina Colada with a Twist!! After making these Tropical Guava Bars, I started thinking about all things tropical…specifically tropical cocktails which, I have to confess are not my favorites. Too sweet and too heavy I pretty much steer clear of these sugary cocktail bombs. But I really wanted to experiment with a tropical cocktail… so I hit the web and did a little research. First stop – Trader Vic’s – the legendary purveyor of all things tropical.
Turns out the Trader and I saw a bit more eye-to-eye than I had thought – he wasn’t a fan of those frozen drinks either! Woo Hoo!!!
Perusing a variety of Trader Vic’s cocktails, I came across the Bahia – his version of the Pina Colada.
And, truth be told, it wasn’t half bad… but still a little too sweet for my liking.
So I tinkered – and lucky for me, the “fix” was pretty simple – which was a relief since I wanted an easy cocktail – something that I could make on the spur of the moment and that I could make for a crowd – which meant a short ingredient list and a simple technique.
And this Pina Colada with Twist delivers on all counts… and is just the thing to serve at your next luau!
Pina Colada with a twist
- 6 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
- 4 oz. silver rum Flor de Cana Silver Dry Rum would be a good choice here
- 2 oz. Cream of Coconut Coco Lopez only please!
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 2 fresh pineapple wedges
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Thread the pinapple wedges and cherries onto cocktail picks and set aside.
- Combine the pineapple juice, rum, cream of coconut and fresh lime juice in a large shaker tin. Fill with ice and shake for 30 - 45 seconds.
- Fill two old fashioned glasses with ice. Strain cocktail into each glass and garnish with the cocktail picks.