The Bourbon Smash may just be the best cocktail you’ve never heard of! Juicy summer fruit and smooth bourbon come together in the “ultimate summer drink!
Make your next summer get together a “smash” by serving up a batch of this sweet, tart and tangy bourbon cocktail!
The Bourbon Smash cocktail is pretty much everything I love about summer cocktails. Along with this Gin and Ginger Ale cocktail and a Grapefruit Mule, this bourbon concoction is pretty much on weekly rotation here at ACT.
Juicy and icy, it’s just the thing for quenching your thirst. More a “formula” than a specific recipe, the Bourbon Smash works with just about any fresh summer fruit – including my favorite – figs!
What is a Bourbon Smash?
This cocktail is just the bourbon version of the classic Smash cocktail. Dating to 1887, this classic cocktail, also known as a Whiskey Smash, has evolved over time. While most cocktails have specific ratios of ingredients, the Smash is far more flexible. With ice or without, fresh ripe fruit, bourbon, fresh herbs (or not!) and club soda.. or not.
I couldn’t have said it better myself!
How do you make a Bourbon Smash
- Assemble your fresh fruit – for each cocktail, you will need a large slice of fresh fruit or several berries.
- Muddle the fruit, lime juice, and honey in the bottom of a shaker tin.
- Add the bourbon and ice.
- Shake the cocktail vigorously.
- Add ice to a rocks glass and pour the cocktail over.
- Garnish your cocktail with fresh mint and a fig slice f you like!
What Bourbon is good for a Bourbon Smash
The simplest answer is the bourbon that you enjoy drinking! The only bourbon I wouldn’t suggest, is a very expensive bourbon – unless you have the budget for that!
But if you aren’t a bourbon drinker or aren’t sure, here are some suggestions to get you started.
- Elijah Craig – one of my favorite cocktail bourbons, it’s reasonably priced with just enough roughness to balance the fruit.
- Woodford Reserve – This one is a bit smoother but makes an excellent drink.
- Maker’s Mark – a classic, this bourbon is incredibly flexible.
- Bulleit – widely available and reasonably priced, this is another fabulously versatile bourbon.
Bourbon Smash Variations
- Peaches– both yellow and white are delicious. I don’t peel them since it helps keep the fruit from falling apart!
- Apricots – absolutely amazing. Try adding about ½ oz. of Amaretto!
- Plums – any variety!
- Nectarines – if you like your drink a bit on the tangy side.
- Berries – any and all are a “no brainer”.
- Figs – my absolute favorite in this cocktail.
- Citrus- oranges, and lemons are more traditional. Limes and grapefruit are the only ones I don’t use on their own!
Other Easy Bourbon Cocktails
If you enjoyed this recipe please rate it!! Cheers, Nancy!
Fig and Bourbon Smash
- shaker tin
- rocks glass
- 4 Black Mission or Brown Turkey Figs quartered
- 8 oz. good bourbon
- 3 oz. fresh lime juice
- 2 oz. high quality honey
- 8 mint leaves
- 12 oz. club soda or sparkling water
- 1 fig quartered (optional)
- 4 sprigs mint optional
- Add the figs to the shaker tin.
- Add the lime juice and honey.
- Using a muddler or a large teaspoon, mash up the figs.
- Add the bourbon and ice to a shaker tin.
- Shake for 10 seconds.
- Add ice to 4 rocks glasses.
- Divide the cocktail evenly between the glasses.
- Top with club soda if desired.
- Garnish with fig quarter and mint sprig if desired.
- Bourbon – You can use any bourbon that you enjoy in this cocktail. I don’t recommend using expensive bourbons since those are really made for sipping or spirit-forward cocktails like Manhattan’s.
- If you want to make these cocktails in advance, you can muddle the figs with the bourbon, lime juice, and honey a few hours ahead of time. Then divide the mixture evenly among 4 rocks glasses, add ice and top with sparkling water, garnish and serve.