Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:54 pm
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it’s advertiser. As always, all opinions are my own. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias. A riff on the classic Indian Chicken Biryani, this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani recipe has all the flavor of a traditional Biryani.
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…..” And also the busiest – between the decorating, baking, shopping and activities everyone’s calendar is jam packed. So I thought that, instead of sharing another holiday recipe, I’d share one of my favorite “get dinner on the table quick” recipes, an Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani. India’s version of “chicken and rice” this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani is a streamlined version – but with all the flavors of a traditional biryani. Tomatoes, onions, chiles and chicken are infused with fragrant spices and sweet sultana raisins and surrounded by tender white rice. All you need is salad, like this Blood Orange, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, and dinner is served!
Despite the Indian origins of this dish, I can find everything I need for this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani at my local market.
Ro*Tel and Queso are pretty much synonymous, but these tomatoes have so many more uses! I love using them in Indian curries, pasta sauces and even in some Moroccan influenced dishes as well. Tomatoes and chiles are a classic combination and a great basis for a wide variety of dishes – which is why I always have a variety of Ro*Tel tomatoes in my pantry. With a few other staple ingredients, I have everything I need for for easy and flavorful dishes like this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani!
And yes, there is always a can of Pam cooking spray – which is perfect for this chicken biryani.
So, let’s get to it…
Step #1: Spray the pan with Pam Olive Oil cooking spray:
Step #2: add the onions, garlic, ginger and spices and saute for a few minutes…
Step #3: Add in the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned….
Step#4: Then add in your Ro*Tel tomatoes!!
Step #5: Stir in the raisins, lime juice, rice and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 12 -15 minutes and….
There you have it! Richly flavored, slightly, sweet and slightly spicy Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani.
Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani
- Pam olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 10 oz. can Ro*Tel tomatoes mild or spicy
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice preferable Basmati
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Liberally coat a large skillet with Pam olive oil spray.
- Over medium high heat, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is browned but not cooked through.
- Add the Ro*Tel tomatoes,raisins, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the rice and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. If water remains, remove lid, increase the heat, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in minced cilantro and serve!