This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it’s advertiser. As always, all opinions are my own. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias. A riff on the classic Indian Chicken Biryani, this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani recipe features tender chicken, tomatoes, mild green chiles with fragrantly spiced basmati rice. An easu one skillet weeknight dinner that takes chicken and rice to a whole new level!
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…..” And also the busiest – between the decorating, baking, shopping and activities everyone’s calendar is jam packed. So I thought that, instead of sharing another holiday recipe, I’d share one of my favorite “get dinner on the table quick” recipes like Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry , This Chicken Biryani recipe is a streamlined version of India’s version of chicken and rice- but with all the flavors of a traditional biryani.
What to Serve with this Chicken Biryani Recipe:
All you need is salad, like this Blood Orange, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, and dinner is served!
What Is in Chicken Biryani:
Like many common dishes, the ingredients for Chicken Biryani vary from region to region in India and each household has their own version! Beyond the common ingredients of chicken and rice, it is the spice mixture that varies the most! Cinnamon, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, ginger,fennel and cumin are the most common spices but turmeric is also used in a number of biryani recipes!
How to Make Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani:
Basic pantry staples and fresh chicken are all you need to make this Chicken Biryani recipe:
Step #1: Spray the pan with Olive Oil cooking spray:
Step #2: add the onions, garlic, ginger and spices and saute for a few minutes…
Step #3: Add in the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned….
Step#4: Then add in your Ro*Tel tomatoes!!
Step #5: Stir in the raisins, lime juice, rice and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 12 -15 minutes and….
There you have it! Richly flavored, slightly, sweet and slightly spicy Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might like to try these other indian recipes!
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
- Spiced Indian Red lentil Soup
- One Pan Indian Coconut Chicken Curry
- Black Bean, Rice and Sausage Salsa Bowls
- One Pan Moroccan Lemon Olive Chicken
A riff on the classic Indian Chicken Biryani, this Easy Skillet Chicken Biryani recipe has all the flavor of a traditional Biryani.
- Pam olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 10 oz. can Ro*Tel tomatoes mild or spicy
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice preferable Basmati
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Liberally coat a large skillet with Pam olive oil spray.
- Over medium high heat, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is browned but not cooked through.
- Add the Ro*Tel tomatoes,raisins, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the rice and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. If water remains, remove lid, increase the heat, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in minced cilantro and serve!