This Cuban Turkey Picadillo is the ground turkey dinner recipe I make when I’m short on time and want a dish that’s comforting, filling and interesting!
The combination of onions, tomatoes, warm spices, olives,
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. If you take a
Yep, it’s one of my “go to” proteins for so many reasons! It takes on flavors like nobody’s business, it’s quick cooking and it’s cheap!
What you’ll need for this Turkey Picadillo Recipe:
- ground turkey
- canned tomatoes
- ground cinnamon, cumin, cloves and nutmeg
- sultana raisins
- green olives
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Cuban Style Turkey Picadillo FAQ’s
A long simmered, savory beef stew made with chopped beef. The combination of raisins, olives and sweet spices reflects the Moorish influence on this dish.
Just about anything! Rice, tortillas, potatoes and even pasta are great “go withs” for this ground turkey dinner recipe!
The word comes from the Spanish word “picado” which means chopped.
How to Make Turkey Picadillo:
- Step #1 – Make the sofrito: Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and cook the onions and garlic until they are soft and then add the tomato paste and continue to cook until the mixture is thick and fragrant.
- Step #2 – add the turkey: Once the sofrito is cooked, add the turkey and saute until it’s no longer pink.
- Step #3 – add the tomatoes, vinegar, water and spices: Bring to a boil and then simmer until thick.
- Step #4: stir in the olives and raisins and serve!
Other Latin Recipes!
- Gazpacho – simple and refreshing!!
- Pulled Pork Tacos – the ultimate pulled pork!
- Pork Tostadas Recipe – a classic Tex Mex recipe!
- Tamarind Margarita – sweet, sour and sultry, this margarita is a must make!
- Mexican Corn Salad – the salad version of Mexican street corn!
- Mexican Picadillo – beef, potatoes and carrots flavor this Mexican comfort food!
Cuban Turkey Picadillo:
This easy and flavorful weeknight wonder also freezes well so make a double batch!
If you liked this recipe, I would love it if you’d give it a 5 star rating!
Cuban Style Turkey Picadillo
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey
- salt and pepper
- 4 large roma tomatoes OR one 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup sultana raisins
- 2/3 cup pitted pimento stuffed green olives
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and saute for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another 4 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the tomato paste and stir, cooking for another 2 minutes until the tomato paste is caramelized.
- Add the turkey and cook, stirring to break up any lumps for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, spices and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook, uncovered for 10 minutes, until mixture is thick.
- Stir in the raisins and the olives.