Today I’m thinking outside the box with this Creamy Sweet and Spicy Carrot Dip!!!
I’m pretty good at including vegetables at lunch and dinner. Snacking is where I run into trouble – especially when I’m planning appetizers.
My “fall back” position is always cheese, meat and seafood recipes – which are great, but not so much for my friends – many of whom are vegetarian or trying to cut back on the amount of cheese and meat they eat.
This pretty much leaves me with chips, guacamole and salsa, hummus and veggies trays. Nothing wrong with those of course. But since I’m always trying to “expand my horizons” I’ve been on the hunt for more “vegetable centric” appetizers to include in my repertoire.
And I have to say, this Creamy, Sweet and Spicy Carrot Dip is now my number one, go -to appetizer recipe. For soooo many reasons.
- It tastes fantastic – sweet carrots subtly flavored with coriander, cumin and sumac and crowned with sultana raisins and pistachios on top of tangy yogurt.
- It can be made ahead and assembled just before serving.
- It’s portable!
- It’s pretty!
- I can find all the ingredients in my local grocery store.
And this year, it’s even the right color for Superbowl Sunday!!! (Yeah, I’m a Broncos fan – but don’t hold that against me!!) But even if you’re not a bronco’s fan, you’ll still be winner with this Creamy Sweet and Spicy Carrot Dip!
Creamy Sweet and Spicy Carrot Dip
- 1 pound medium carrots
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sumac divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter for vegan version substitute pistachio oil
- 1/4 cup golden raisins sultanas
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk plain greek yogurt (for vegan version use soy yogurt)
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- Pita chips for serving
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the carrots into 2 - 3 inch lengths and slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the carrots in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt, sumac, coriander and cumin.
- Spread evenly on a greased sheet pan and roast for 15 - 18 minutes until the carrots are slightly charred at the edges and tender.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- While the carrots are roasting, place the butter in a small frying pan. Over medium low heat, cook the butter until it is browned and has a lovely nutty aroma. Add the raisins, pistachios and sumac and lemon zest. Cook, stirring until the raisins puff - about 1 minute. Let cool. If using the pistachio oil, toast the pistachios in the dry skillet and soak the raisins in hot water for 1 minute and then drain.Combine with the pistachio oil and sumac and proceed with the recipe.
- Toss the carrots with the butter mixture (oil if making vegan version). Spread the yogurt on the bottom of a shallow serving bowl or platter. Spoon the carrot and raisin/pistachio mixture over the top. Garnish with the minced parsley and serve with the pita chips.
- Spread the yogurt on the bottom of a serving bowl or platter. Toss the carrots with the butter mixture