Last updated on December 2nd, 2018 at 06:46 pm
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LegendaryTailgate #CollectiveBias
Chicken Green Chile Sliders and football… a match made in heaven! Most people think football is about… well, football.
But not me. Nope, for me it is all about the food – specifically grilling and tailgating – which here in California can be pretty much a year round thing!! So if you’ve been thinking it’s time to put away that grill… think again – because you are going to want to fire that grill up pronto to make these Chicken Green Chile Sliders!
Yes, these Chicken Green Chile Sliderss are easy and yes they taste amazing (if I do say so myself!) but the best part??? You can make these even if you are tailgating away from home. Seriously.
So, how is this possible? I’ll let you in on two of my “little secrets”. Number one, skip the boneless, chicken breasts and instead grab a package of Foster Farms boneless and skinless chicken thighs. These chickens raised in California and the Pacific Northwest and are 100% natural and free from hormones and steroids. Foster Farms chicken thighs are the perfect choice since they stay much juicier than chicken breasts when grilled and are the perfect size for sliders! Secondly, use Stubbs Green Chile Anytime Sauce. If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you know I don’t use a lot of bottled sauces, marinades and dressings. But I make an exception for Stubb’s Bar-B-Q sauces and marinades. Made without artificial preservatives, colors and sweeteners, Stubbs tastes fantastic without any of those off flavors you can find in some bottled sauces and marinades. I’ve tried several of their sauces and have loved every one of them and I think this Green Chile is my favorite since it’s made with Hatch chiles and you know how I feel about Hatch chiles!!
Oh, and the fact that Stubbs was started by C.B. Stubblefield in Lubbock, Texas doesn’t hurt either – with two sons living in Texas I have quite a soft spot for all things Texas!
So, how exactly do you make these Chicken Green Chile Sliders if you aren’t at home??
First get thee to your local supermarket and get a package of Foster Farms Boneless and skinless thighs and a bottle of Stubbs Green Chile Anytime sauce: I got mine at my local Ralphs but you can also find them at Kroger, Safeway, Lucky’s, Albertsons and Von’s – and if you shop before 12/31/15 there is an Instant Redeemable Coupon – sweet!!!
Marinate the chicken in a cup of the Stubb’s Green Chile Anytime Sauce: Hint: If you are “travel tailgating” you can use a ziploc bag instead of a bowl!!
Prep the slaw while the chicken is marinating… combine packaged coleslaw mix (you can add some sliced purple cabbage if you like), pineapple juice from the crushed pineapple mixed with some Stubb’s Green Chile Anytime Sauce , honey and a little vegetable oil – that’s it!
Then start grilling your chicken – make sure to baste it once or twice with more of the Stubb’s sauce!
Top with a little cheese…. I used sliced Havarti but Jack would work well…
And then put those sliders together!
These are smoky, spicy and a little sweet and perfect for travel tailgating!!
Other slider recipes you might enjoy:
- Hawaiian Sweet Roll Sliders with Chinese BBQ Pork:
- Chorizo Sliders with Crema Chile Sauce
- Superbowl Sliders
Chicken Green Chile Sliders
- 1 pckg. Foster Farms skinless and boneless chicken thighs cut in half
- 1 bottle Stubbs Green Chile Everyday Sauce
- Four 4 inch slices Havarty or Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup coleslaw mix
- one - 8 oz. can crushed pineapple packed in juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slider buns sliced in half horizontally.
- Place chicken in a bowl or ziploc bag and pour 1 cup of Stubbs Green Chile Anytime sauce over, coating the chicken thoroughly.
- Let marinate for 1 or more hours.
- While the chicken is marinating, assemble the slaw. Place the red cabbage and coleslaw mix in a bowl (or if travel tailagating in a ziploc bag).
- Drain the juice from the pineapple ( you should have about 1/4 of a cup) into a small bowl or a Solo cup if travel tailgating! Mix with 1 Tablespoon of Stubbs Green Chile Anytime Sauce. and 1 teaspoon honey. Whisk ( for travel tailgating, a plastic fork will work!) Drizzle in 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil and whisk again. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing on cabbage mix. Stir in the reserved pineapple.
- Pour about 2 Tablespoons of the Stubbs sauce in a small bowl or Solo cup.
- Pre heat the grill to medium high. On clean grates place the chicken thighs and close grill. Grill for 3 - 4 minutes or until chicken easily releases from the grates, basting once or twice with the Stubbs sauce.Turn over, close grill and grill for another 2 - 3 minutes. Open the grill and place 1/2 slice of cheese on top of each chicken thigh. Close the grill and let the cheese melt for another 2 minutes. Open the grill and check chicken for doneness. Chicken is properly cooked when the interior temperature of the thigh is 165 degrees.
- Remove thighs from the grill to a clean plate. Place 2 Tablespoons of slaw on the bottom of each slider bun. Top with the chicken and a small drizzle of the Stubbs sauce. Enjoy!