Thai Chicken Tortilla Bites satisfy your craving for asian take out food – and are better for you! A baked, crispy tortilla surrounding tender chicken, carrots, scallions and lettuce. These crunchy, springroll like wraps are dipped into a spicy peanut sauce -yum!!!
A few weeks ago, we went out after a game with some friends to the local CPK (a.k.a. California Pizza Kitchen). The kids of course all ordered pizzas but the grown ups opted for a variety of small plates and salads. One of the things we tried were the “spring rolls” – flour tortillas stuffed with chicken, carrots, scallions and a kicky peanut sauce rolled into cylinders and then cooked in the pizza oven.
They were pretty good – but it was the concept that captured my attention. I loved the contrast of the warm, crispy tortilla and the crunchy vegetables and my mind instantly starting dreaming up different flavor combinations. Since then, I’ve been experimenting with the concept – and am pleased to say that they worked – no pizza oven required! Since these Thai Chicken Tortilla Bites now have their FSA (a.k.a Family Seal of Approval) and I am happy to share them with you!!
These make a great snack, appetizer, lunch or even dinner when paired with a large salad.
Have a craving for Asian food? Then you might like this Gai lan with Tangerine Glazed Chicken
Thai Chicken Tortilla Bites
- 4 - 8 inch flour tortillas
- ½ cup peanut sauce - I like House of Tsang
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 8 oz. cooked chicken shredded or sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallions sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- extra peanut sauce for dipping optional
- Pre heat a non stick griddle over medium high heat.
- Lay tortillas on a flat surface. Brush the tortillas with the peanut sauce to about ½ inch from the edge.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the peanut sauce, dividing equally among the 4 tortillas.
- Place the cabbage on top of the cheese, towards the bottom of the tortilla in a thin strip. Don't scatter the cabbage over the entire surface of the tortilla.
- Place some of the shredded carrots on top of the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with some of the scallions and cilantro and top with some of the chicken.
- Roll the tortilla up jelly roll style.
- Place the tortillas seam side down on the griddle. Grill until the tortilla is toasted brown on the bottom. Turn the tortillas and continue to grill until the torillas are golden brown.
- Remove tortilla rolls from the griddle and let cool for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife (serrated works well) slice the tortilla rolls in half and serve with extra peanut sauce for dipping if desired.