Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:54 pm
“On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me, three french hens….” What is it about the gift of birds in this song?? I have no idea but I can tell you this, I’d much, much rather be gifted with these Roasted Potatoes with Cucumber Mint Raita than a bird… or even three.
I’d like to introduce you my new bestie…” DYP”…. aka Dutch Yellow Potatoes!!! These potatoes are definitely my newest obsession and I’ve been making all kinds of dishes with them including these Roasted Potatoes with Cucumber Mint Raita – another incredibly easy appetizer for the holidays!!!
These Roasted Potatoes with Cucumber and Mint Raita were inspired by Melissa’s Produce latest cookbook – “DYPs – the Perfect Everyday Potato Cookbook.” Yes, a cookbook devoted entirely to one variety of potato – which gives you some idea of how truly versatile these little potatoes are – you can use them in appetizers, soups, salads, main dishes, sides and even dessert! But to find out how to use them in desserts, well, you are going to have to get the book!!!
DYP’s are small… between 1 and 3 inches long which makes them perfect for dipping… and when I thought about dipping, I started thinking “appetizer”! Yeah, I know, “am I thinking about anything else right now???”
Depending upon the time of day – nope.
Since loaded baked potatoes are a weakness I thought loaded mini baked potatoes…. but I wanted something easier to make, a little more “exotic” and with with less fat than a typical stuffed potato. Soooo… since potatoes are a common ingredient in Indian cuisine I decided to go with that- Lightly dusted with garam masala, cumin and fennel seeds these little roasted potatoes are served with a luscious raita made with Chobani plain yogurt flavored with diced cucumber, mint and lime juice.
These Roasted Potatoes with Cucumber Mint Raita are an ideal choice for vegetarians, those who avoid gluten and, if my DH is anything to go by, everyone else. And since you can prep them in less than 30 minutes are an ideal appetizer.
Which cannot be said for 3 french hens….
Roasted Potatoes with Cucumber Mint Raita
- 1 lb. Melissa's DYP potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- Cucumber Mint Raita
- 1 cup Chobani plain greek yogurt
- 1 small seedless cucumber cut into 1/4 inch dice
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime or more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl combine the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, garam masala and salt. Stir and set aside.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Add the ghee to a rimmed sheet pan and place in the oven for 2 minutes or until the ghee is melted. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the potatoes and toss until the potatoes are coated. Sprinkle the seasonings on the potatoes and toss a again until the potatoes are coated. Spread out the potatoes and place the sheet pan in the oven. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely browned and tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine the yogurt with the cucumber, lime zest and juice and mint. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Arrange potatoes and Cucumber mint Raita on a serving platter.