Last Updated on
It isn’t really going as I planned. At all. See, I thought I’d all of sudden have all this free time to read cookbooks, work out and even have a candlelight dinner or two with my DH.
Well, except for the working out, it hasn’t happened… and even the working out has been sub optimal.
Sheesh. So, I continue to be in the mode of looking for relatively easy, quick and nutritious meal options like this Farro with Artichokes, Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms.
And once again, leave it to Melissa’s Produce to make my life easier! In case you weren’t aware of it, Melissa’s has a whole line up of convenient, ready-to-eat vegetables and legumes – things like lentils, beets, fava beans and now steamed artichokes!!!
Artichokes have always been one of my pantry staples – I put them in pasta, salads, and they do wonders for chicken dishes. There is only one problem though… the canned ones are kinda briny. Which, don’t get me wrong, I love “briny” – olives, pickles and capers are all regular occupants of my fridge. But there are a number of dishes where that “briny – ness” (hey this is a food blog so I get to make up words on occasion) is not a good thing. Like in this dish of chewy farro with caramelized onions, mushrooms and artichokes that’s laced with sherry. It’s a one bowl meal – hearty with an earthy nuttiness and a touch of sweetness from the onions and sherry. All you need is a salad … and maybe a nice fire to curl up in front of with a bowl of this in your lap.
Well, if you live anywhere but California that is… we are still in shorts and flip flops.
But back to these steamed artichokes, which have earned a prime spot of real estate in my fridge. Melissa’s really, really knows the way to this girl’s heart.
And when you try them… I think these artichokes will find a way into your heart too… especially if they are in this dish!
Farro with Artichokes, Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup semi pearled farro
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 package [url:1]Melissa's steamed artichokes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 tsp. pimente de espellette or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- freshly grated parmesan optional
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until the onions are tender and golden brown, about 10 -12 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic and celery and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Increase the heat to medium high and add the sherry. Cook until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Add the farro, stock, pimente de espellete and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil - cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the liquid is evaporated and the farro is tender. Divide among 4 bowls and top with parmesan if desired.