This Cheese and Herb Quick Bread or cake sale´ is the French answer to the “cracker” component of “cheese and crackers”. A truly brilliant concept IMO. I’ve been making this all summer long and the reaction? Priceless! It starts out with “oohs and ahhs” and after the first bite heads right into “OMG… this is fantastic!”
I just love that, don’t you?
I was first introduced to these savory quick
But for someone who loves the whole process of cooking, this was truly eye opening. It changed how I thought about not only my weekday meals but also about “entertaining” – and has definitely changed my whole approach, making the process sooo much easier and relaxed.
Which means I have people over more often – and that’s the point! I now rely on excellent ingredients and simple preparations… like this Cheese and Herb Quick Bread.
This Cheese and Herb Quick Bread is very simple to make – no mixer or yeast needed.
The key to this bread is using a very flavorful, high quality cheese – which brings me to my next “entertaining” tip..
Kerrygold Cheeses and butter!! High quality, delicious cheese and butter that I can find in my local market. I used to go to at least 2 or 3 different markets to get all the ingredients I needed for get togethers and parties. Being able to find everything I need for get together in one market?
Complete game changer.
I used Kerrygold’s Dubliner cheese in this Cheese and Herb Quick Bread but it would be amazing with their Skellig, aged cheddar or swiss or a combination and is a great way to use up those “bits and bobs” of cheese. That is of course if you manage to have any of those… which I generally don’t:-(. Served with a selection of Kerrygold cheeses and olives, this Cheese and Herb Quick Bread makes an easy and delicious “nibble” to serve with aperitifs… or as a snack, or with a salad, or soup.
Or pretty much any time of the day when you need a snack.
And the butter? Stay tuned for what I did with the butter…hint… a main dish that is prepped, cooked and ready in under 15 minutes!
Other appetizer recipes you might enjoy
- Tarte Flambee|French Pizza
- Easy Queso Dip Bread
- Tomato Bread | Pan Con Tomate
- Whipped Ricotta with Sweet and Savory Grapes
Kerrygold graciously provided samples of cheese and butter. As always, my opinions are entirely my own.
Cheese and Herb Quick Bread
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 cup grated Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×5 loaf pan with the olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the herbs and toss to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, crack the three eggs.
- Add the yogurt and olive oil.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg/yogurt mixture into the flour, stirring just until all the flour has been incorporated.
- Gently stir in the cheese.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until skewer, inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- Remove loaf from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife between the loaf and the pan to loosen then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- If making ahead, wrap in plastic wrap. Store at room temperature.