This Charred Edamame with Miso Lemon Dipping sauce appetizer recipe is healthy, delicious and ready in under 30 minutes for vegetarians and vegans alike.
And then of course seeing if I can “hack” the recipe – and with this Charred Edamame with Miso Lemon Dipping Sauce I’m guilty as charged.
Fortunately, there is little to feel guilty about while noshing on this umami filled snack – and don’t we ALL need more of this in our lives? Good-for-you-snacks I mean – not hacking!
I was a little skeptical of this dish in the beginning – after all it would not win any beauty prizes. But what it lacks in looks it more than makes up for in taste. Nutty, citrusy with that wonderful meaty flavor of miso paste I could seriously devour the entire bowl all by myself – which, I am almost ashamed to admit I did after shooting this.
Finally, here is why I think you need this dish in your repertoire – the ingredients are simple (4 not counting the sesame seeds) and they’re ones you can have on hand all the time. Oh and you can make this in about 10 minutes.
And with summer grilling season just around the corner, well, this is just a no brainer.
Charred Edamame with Miso Lemon Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb. frozen unshelled edamame
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 Tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- Add the canola oil to a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the edamame and cook about 5 - 6 minutes until edamame are charred in spots. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with the dipping sauce.
- Lemon Miso Dipping Sauce
- Add the lemon juice to a blender. With the machine running, add the miso paste. Blend. Slowly drizzle in the olive and canola oils. Taste and adjust lemon juice and/or miso paste to your taste!