This Country Captain Chicken has all the charm of the original recipe but only takes 30 minutes! If you love tender chicken wrapped in a luscious, spice-infused tomato sauce, You will LOVE this Lowcountry classic recipe!
Quick and easy, one pan chicken recipes are a staple for weeknight meals. Whether it’s this Lemon Olive Chicken, Chicken Madras or Chicken Korma, these easy chicken dishes make everyone happy – including the cook!
What is Country Captain Chicken?
Also called “Captain’s Chicken” this dish is a tomato-based chicken stew that’s flavored with curry powder and typically served over rice.
The recipe first appeared in the 1850s and quickly became a Lowcountry classic. This sweet, tangy and subtly spiced stew quickly became a staple of Southern Junior League cookbooks and was a popular dinner party recipe!
Country Captain Chicken is one of my favorite dishes – but my traditional recipe isn’t quick. So I developed a “shortcut” recipe to satisfy my cravings.
What you need to make it!
- Chicken – I used boneless breasts but you could also use thighs or bone in breasts or thighs.
- Onions, carrots, celery and a red, yellow or orange bell pepper.
- A jar of your favorite marinara sauce.
- Chicken stock
- Curry powder
- Currants or raisins (optional but really good!)
How to Make County Captain Chicken:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Blot the chicken dry and lightly dredge is flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on both sides.
- Remove the chicken and saute the onions, celery and bell pepper.
- Add the marinara sauce, curry powder and chicken stock and stir.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, cover and simmer until the chicken is done.
This 30 Minute Country Captain Chicken is easy enough to make on a weeknight and delicious enough to serve for friends and family on the weekend!
Other Chicken Recipes to tempt you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I would love for you to give it a 5 star rating!! Cheers, Nancy
30 Minute Country Captain Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar Prego Farmers Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 yellow red or orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 2 cups cooked rice optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Place the flour on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- While oil is heating, lightly dredge the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Place chicken in the skillet and cook, until browned – about 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and cook until golden brown – about 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and add the remaining Tablespoon of oil.
- Add the vegetables and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder and stir.
- Pour in the Prego Farmer’s Market® Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce and stir.
- Stir in the chicken stock and currants
- Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet, turning to coat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice!