Add to Collection
Go to Collections
30 Minute Country Captain Chicken
A southern classic, this Country Captain Chicken is a blend of French creole and indian cuisine.Tangy, sweet and salty and ready in 30 minutes!!
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 24 oz. jar Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 yellow red or orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 2 cups cooked rice optional
In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil over medium high heat.
Place the flour on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper.
While oil is heating, lightly dredge the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
Place chicken in the skillet and cook, until browned - about 4 minutes.
Turn chicken over and cook until golden brown - about 3 minutes.
Remove chicken from the pan and add the remaining Tablespoon of oil.
Add the vegetables and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add in the curry powder and stir.
Pour in the Marinara sauce and stir.
Stir in the chicken stock and currants
Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet, turning to coat.
Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Cover the pan and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve over rice!
- Traditionally, this dish is served over fluffy white rice but you can also serve it over egg noodles or any pasta. It's also delicious with bread to sop up all that delicious sauce!
- A simple green salad makes a fabulous side dish.
- This dish freezes really well so don't hesitate to make a double batch!
- You can make this recipe up to two days ahead of time. Just cover and keep refrigerated. Re heat, covered, in a 350 degree oven.
Calories: 3182kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 496g | Fat: 100g | Saturated Fat: 36g | Cholesterol: 1382mg | Sodium: 1112mg | Potassium: 8531mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2635IU | Vitamin C: 6.8mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 13.1mg