I know – it’s been ages since I posted a new recipe – between work, technical problems (2 crashed external hard drives) and a packed La Crosse schedule well… you know that story as well as I do! Like almost everything else it seems, cooking has also been a “catch-as-catch-can” proposition lately.. my thoughts have been fragmented and scattered which is not conducive to cooking! Which brings me to these Turkey Zucchini Sliders – which, after the last few weeks, I am convinced that everyone needs to have in their freezer!
“Handy” doesn’t even begin to cover it – these Turkey Zucchini Sliders are incredibly versatile – you can eat them on their own with a little tzatziki sauce on the side, stuff ’em into pitas with tomatoes and lettuce, plop them on a traditional burger bun or even put them over pasta with some roasted veggies. Definitely my kind of “fast food!”
Dinner. Done. Yes!!! And for those nights when you can’t wrap your head around dinner these Turkey Zucchini Sliders are worth their weight in gold.
And the best part aside from the fact that everyone in my family likes them? They can have them their way.. fast food never tasted so good!
Turkey Zucchini Sliders
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 small Persian or baby cucumber cut into ¼ inch dice
- grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic pressed
- 1 Tbsp. sumac
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- To make the Tzatziki sauce combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- For the sliders, pre heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and set aside. In a a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the canola oil. Mix with your hand until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Divide the turkey mixture into 18 small balls (if making sliders). Flatten the patties and set aside.
- In a large skillet, pour a thin layer of oil. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot, then sear the patties on each side. Cook until each side is golden brown. Remove to the sheet pan. When all the patties are browned, place in the oven and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until the patties are cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature with the Tzatziki sauce.