This pumpkin pie spiced Kahlua and Cream is a cozy update to the classic White Russian drink! Spice-infused Kahlua is the "secret ingredient" to this creamy winter cocktail. It is so good you might just forgo that pumpkin pie!
Kahlua White Russian Drink
If you're a fan of Pumpie Spiced Latte's you're going to love this Kahlua and cream recipe! I recently had this Kahlua cocktail and although it was good, it was a bit boring.
But... I thought this easy cocktail had possibilities and so... I started tinkering.
Since I'm a huge fan of spice-infused cocktails - like this Citrus and Spice Kentucky Mule I thought that adding some spices to the classic White Russian drink. could work. Since I didn't want to add another liqueur, I decided to try infusing the Kahlua itself.
I am sooo glad that I did! Ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice are an ideal match with the Kahlua's rich coffee flavors. Coffee and pumpkin pie spice, after all, is a winning combination for Starbucks, right?
What is Kahlua?
Kahlua is a coffee liqueur from Mexico. It's made from a combination of rum, vanilla bean, sugar, and arabica coffee.
What is Kahlua and Cream?
Just as the name implies, it's a classic cocktail of equal parts Kahlua liqueur, vodka, and milk or cream. The cocktail is based on the Black Russian, a combination of vodka and Kahlua. At some point, cream was added and the Kahlua White Russian cocktail was born!
The cocktail became a cult classic with the debut of the movie "The Big Lebowski". Instead of a martini or whiskey, Jeff Bridge's character slurped down White Russians. An inspired choice, since this cocktail is a perfect blend of alcohol, sugar, and caffeine!
So, let's look at the ingredients you'll need for this Kahlua and Cream:
What you need to make Kahlua and Cream:
- Spice-infused Kahlua - or regular Kahlua if pumpkin pie spice isn't your thing.
- Good quality vodka - I like Snow Leopard but any Vodka that you like works well here.
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make this Kahlua Cocktail:
- Combine the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves in a small pint jar and pour the Kahlua over it.
- Let sit for 3 days and taste the Kahlua. If you are happy with the level of spice, strain the Kahlua and return to the pint jar. If you want a stronger spice flavor, let the mixture continue to infuse for up to a week. Taste it daily to check!
- To make Kalua and Cream:
- Fill an Old Fashioned glass with ice.
- Pour the infused Kahlua over the ice.
- Add the vodka and give the mixture a little stir.
- Top with heavy whipping cream.
- Garnish with some freshly grated nutmeg and add a couple of cinnamon sticks for stirrers.
Other Vodka Cocktails you may enjoy!
Pumpkin Spiced Kahlua and Cream|White Russian Drink
Spice Infused Kahlua
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ whole nutmeg
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger
- 8 ounces Kahlua
For the Pumpkin Pie Spiced Kahlua and Cream
- 2 oz. good quality vodka
- 1 oz. Pumpkin Pie Spiced Kahlua
- 2 oz. heavy whippiing cream
- 2 cinnamon sticks optional
- freshly grated nutmeg optional
- Combine all the spices and the Kahlua in a lidded container. Cover and leave in a dark area for 4 to 7 days. After 4 days taste the infused Kahlua. If infused enough for your taste, strain the spices out and return to the container. If not, continue to infuse until you are happy with the flavor.
- For the infused Kahlua you need to use whole spices. Ground spices are ground too finely to strain out - which will give you a gritty Kahlua!
- To get a more layered cocktail, you can pour the cream over the back of a spoon!