Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:55 pm
This farro salad with Tangerines and Dried Blueberries is an easy, make ahead, vegetarian salad that features Melissas Shasta Gold Tangerines.
Inspired by the Moroccan tradition of combining fruits with grains, I developed this farro salad to take advantage of some beautiful Shasta Gold Tangerines from Melissa’s Produce. Sweet, nutty with just a hint of exotic spices, this Farro Salad with Tangerines and Dried Blueberries is my answer to dreary weather! Juicy tangerines, chewy, nutty farro and sweet dried blueberries wrapped in a sweet citrus dressing, this farro salad is fabulous served alongside pork or chicken, or great by it’s little old self for lunch!
So what exactly is farro??
Farro is an ancient grain and refers to the seed of 3 different wheat varieties – einkorn, emmer and spelt. Nutty with some spice undertones, it’s been used throughout the Mediterranean and the Middle East for centuries – and has now become popular in the U.S. Farro is delicious added to soups, as a side dish when cooked like risotto, or in this Farro Salad with Tangerines and Dried Blueberries!
Tips for Making Farro Salad with Tangerines and Dried Blueberries
- Look for semi pearled farro – which is sometimes called “quick cooking farro” since it cooks in about 15 minutes.
- If possible, make this salad a day ahead. This gives the farro a chance to really absorb the flavor of the dressing!
- If you can’t find farro, use barley!
- Feel free to add canned garbanzo beans or feta for more protein!
Farro Salad with Tangerines and Dried Blueberries
- 1 cup Melissas dried farro
- 4 Melissas Shasta Gold Tangerines
- 1/2 cup Melissas Dried Blueberries
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 12 mint leaves for garnish optional
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed Melissas Shasta Gold Tangerines about 2 tangerines
- 2 tsp. orange blossom honey
- 3/4 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- For Dressing: Place tangerine juice in a small saucepan and boil until juice is reduced by half. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the cooled tangerine juice and honey. Whisk to combine. Add the garam masala, pepper and salt. Whisk until salt has dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil. Set dressing aside. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead - cover and refrigerate and bring to room temperature before using).
- For Salad:
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Season water with salt. Add the farro and continue to boil for 16 - 18 minutes or until farro is cooked through (farro should be chewy but not hard). Drain farro and rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Over a small bowl, peel and section two of the tangerines. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the farro, tangerine sections, dried blueberries, parsley and mint. Drizzle the dressing over and toss to combine. Divide salad among bowls and garnish with pistachios and mint leaves if using.
- This salad can be made a day ahead. Keep refrigerated and bring to room temperature before serving.