There are millions of spaghetti and meat sauce recipes out there but none as good as this homemade spaghetti meat sauce!! This easy homemade meat sauce recipe is unbelievably rich and flavorful, with a little spicy kick and has quickly become my favorite spaghetti and ground meat recipe!
Spaghetti with Ground Beef:
Spaghetti with ground beef, or spaghetti and meat sauce, is loosely based on ragu bolognese. A uniquely American invention, this easy homemade spaghetti sauce has been gracing our tables for years. This easy homemade meat sauce recipe has been gracing my table for as long as I can remember and is simply known as My Mom’s Sauce. Typed up on a 3 x 5 index card, I have no idea where this spaghetti and meat sauce recipe originated and while not an authentic ragu bolognese by any means, it’s still my favorite spaghetti and ground beef dish.
And leaves bottled sauces in the dust.
What is the difference between a homemade spaghetti meat sauce and Ragu Bolognese?
- The main difference is the amount of tomato.
- A bolognese sauce uses a very small amount of tomato.
- This homemade spaghetti meat sauce is more like a marinara sauce with meat!
Tips for making this Easy Homemade Meat Sauce:
- If you are watching your fat intake, you can use very lean beef. But a higher fat (15-20%) ground meat will make a richer sauce.
- Definitely simmer this spaghetti meat sauce for the amount of time indicated in order to develop it’s deep, rich flavor.
- Make a double batch as this spaghetti meat sauce recipe freezes wonderfully.
If you enjoyed this spaghetti with ground beef, you might also enjoy…
Easy Spaghetti and Meat Sauce Recipe:
This easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe is a rich and favorful, with just enough spice to balance the onions, meat and tomatoes.
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 3 onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- two 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- two 6 oz. cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon italian seasoning blend oregano, thyme, rosemary and basil
- dash of tobasco
- 1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, over medium high heat, brown the ground meat with the diced onions. Cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer, uncovered for 2 hours or until the sauce is thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.