Last updated on November 28th, 2018 at 10:04 pm
This spanish influenced Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup recipe is rich and satisfying.Sherry and paprika boost the flavor this pantry staple soup.
“With a little bit of this, and a little bit of that”…. is a really good way to describe this Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup which was born on a chilly, RAINY evening. Yes, folks hell has frozen over… it actually RAINED in Southern California – WOO HOO!!!!!
Which of course called for … soup. And after the eating marathon… aka “the holidays” a hearty bowl of one of my favorites – clam/corn chowder, French Onion or a creamy butternut squash soup was not on the list – too rich and too heavy and would not aid me in getting out of my stretchy pants one bit – so it was going to have to be a broth based, “heavy-on-the-vegetables one .”
And I couldn’t stop thinking about lentils and about a soup my mother used to make. It’s been years since I’d had it and to be honest, couldn’t quite remember what it tasted like – but I did remember I liked it – and that was a good enough place to start. So I rummaged around in her recipe boxes – yes, that’s right boxes as in 7 shoebox sized containers holding stacks of 3 x5 index cards.
Yup, I do come by my love of cooking honestly – LOL!!!
So, this Lentil Soup of My Mom’s – pretty basic – onions, garlic, stock, lentils, tomatoes… but I wanted something… a little more. So I started re writing – eliminating this, subbing in that … and this Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup was the result.
Hearty and filling, it’s just the thing for a rainy day… and I’m really hoping I’ll be making it often this winter!
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves mashed to a paste
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup amontillado sherry
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 – 14 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups cubed Dutch yellow Potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon. pimente de espellete or cayenne pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent - about 5 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, cumin and oregano and stir to combine. Add the sherry and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes, lentils and potatoes. Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add the pimente de espelette or cayenne pepper to taste.