Thanksgiving is almost here and it’s all about the pumpkin… pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars…. and of course, who could forget “pumpkin juice”? But there is far more to winter squash than just pumpkin – and I am not just talking about table decorations! Yup, there is a whole world of delicious, nutritious winter squashes … and lots of delicious ways to use them. So, when Melissa’s Produce sent these beautiful squashes I knew exactly what I wanted to make first – this Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Apple Butter Vinaigrette!
I know, I get it … pumpkin is so… well, easy. You grab a can, can opener and viola, you’ve got ready to use pumpkin! But as my mom used to say “if it’s worth having it’s worth working for”. But believe it or not, many of these winter squashes are much easier to prepare than you might think! Like Delicata squash… just wash, slice and bake or roast – takes no more time than slice and bake cookies. Honestly. Which makes Roasted Delicata Squash almost as easy to make as opening a can of pumpkin! It’s delicious on it’s own a a side dish but since I’m a fan of mixing squash with other things, I love it in this Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Apple Butter Vinaigrette. I’ve been “noshing” on this for lunch the last few days – but it would be delicious served alongside a simple roasted chicken or pork tenderloin.. and definitely alongside that Thanksgiving Turkey!
And speaking of Thanksgiving ….check out these new, beautiful baskets from Melissa’s Produce! I am a huge fan of these baskets – they make a terrific hostess gift. Going somewhere else for Thanksgiving? Well, I can pretty much guarantee that any host/hostess would be thrilled with one of these baskets… and with all the holidays coming up, these baskets are the ideal gift for anyone on your list who doesn’t need or want more “stuff”!! If you are looking for other ways to use Delicata squash, here are some other great recipes from some of my favorite bloggers!
Roasted Squash Blossom Casserole from My Man’s Belly
Autumn Apple, Quinoa and Butternut Squash Salad from She’s Cookin
Stuffed Delicata Squash from Make Mine Lemon
Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Apple Butter Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp. apple butter
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Harvest Blend couscous OR Israeli couscous cooked and drained.
- 1/2 dried cherries
- 1/2 cup spicy or candied pecans
- Directions for the Vinaigrette: Combine the apple butter, vinegar and curry powder and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray. Cut the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Flip the squash over (cut side down) and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices on the sheet pan and brush with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn squash slices over and roast for another 7 - 8 minutes or until the squash is browned and tender. Remove pan from the oven and cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the couscous and the arugula. Pour the vinaigrette over and toss. Divide salad among 4 plates and garnish with the squash, cherries and pecans.